A Chet story a Peavey employee

Welcome to the new Chetboard!

A Chet story a Peavey employee

Postby smokymtguitar09 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:25 pm

I sent an email to Peavey Customer Service about a Black Widow 15" speaker I'm working on, and I got my assistance from Customer Service rep Aubrey. When I told him I had checked the speaker with my Gretsch Chet Atkins 6120, he mentioned he used to work in Nashville next door to Chet and spoke of him being a nice guy. I asked him to share any other recollections he had about Chet and he responded with these comments:

Hello Ronnie,
I worked for the Country Music Foundation as a clerk and runner and at the old RCA Studio B for about 2 1/2 years as a Tour Guide while I was attending Belmont School of Music Business. I met a lot people while in Nashville.
Of course Elvis recorded at Studio B and I was friends with one of Gordon Stoker's son's who is a drummer - Alan, and I ran sound for his band at the time.
Harold Bradley used to stop by and chat. He had a daughter our age that worked at BMI at that time and everybody sort of knew each other. Friends of friends. That sort of thing. I met Chet twice.
Once I was working the front desk at the Hall Of Fame and Chet and Les Paul came in. Les was donating his " log " or first electric guitar to the museum. They talked ; I listened. I don't get star struck with everyone but I sure was then. Another time I was alone in the control room at Studio B standing in front of the three monitors they had on the wall at the time messing with a 2-track reel to reel and I felt a presence. I turned around and Chet was standing there. I was almost at a loss for words. But he was real nice and I think he was probably checking me out because I understand that he was always looking to help out young guitar players. Unfortunately I don't play guitar, but drums , and I was there to learn how to be a recording engineer. Some other people I met there were Buddy Holly's neighbors, and one fond memory was meeting Roger Miller who was so gracious that I hereby promote him to a " kingly " status. But it was all great fun.
I'm from Meridian MS. and of course this the home of Jimmy Rodgers and Peavey Electronics where I have now worked for 32 years. I often have lunch next to Jimmy's grave site; there's a community center across the street, and it's real close to my office. So, I think about him and the Hall of fame often because there's a Music Trail marker right in front of it and I remember seeing the Jimmy Rodgers video play at the hall of fame everyday I was there. It's a small world sometimes !
Thanks for asking.
Aubrey

Peavey Customer Service
Ronnie Evans
smokymtguitar09

Return to Announcement and News