new Chetboard

Welcome to the new Chetboard!

new Chetboard

Postby Gary Smith » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:01 pm

It is certainly going to take some getting used to. But then, nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Gary Smith

Re: new Chetboard

Postby John Rice » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:40 pm

What I liked about the old board was my ability to scan all the posts and see where Paul commented. I am interested in anything he has to say on any topic. I wish this new format was easier to scan in that respect.

John Rice
John Rice

Postby guitarchuck » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:45 pm

Hi John,
On this new board you can search the posts of a person by clicking on their username and then clicking on "search user's posts" That will give you a list of all their posts here on the Chetboard.
guitarchuck

Postby Wes Southerland » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:39 am

I just wanted to give my thoughts on the new board. I like the progress and the new features and know that it has the potential to be really great in the new format. I am worried that alot of the older members will not convert and learn the new layout. Alot of people were real confortable with the old board, me included. I just want everyone to keep posting and monitoring.... i am certainly not complaining. thanks for the upgrade! also please send a few emails to all the members to convert them to here... it seems to me that only a handful have followed us here
Thanks,
Wes
Wes Southerland

Postby Randy Finney » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:05 pm

Yes, this is what worries me the most as well. The main reason I visit the board is to hear what the "old guys" - although young at heart! - have to say.

From the comments I have read, I think what some are finding a little uninviting about he new format is that a) discussions are segregated, and; b) the levels of hierarchy (finding and getting up to date on an established discussion requires lots of clicking, page turning, and manual sorting).

Part of the solution is easy and can be "fixed" by the user. First, set your preferences up to log in automatically. Then click on "view active topics" and bookmark the page that appears. When returning to the board, click this new bookmark and you will automatically log in and bypass all the segregation. As an added bonus, this page defaults to a descending sort so you will be able to get a quick read on what the newest post is, however, this will still be limited to only one per topic unless....

....the other part of the solution is embraced by the "Chetboard Brass". This would require the code to be tweaked to show multiple reply posters for each topic (truncated to 5 or 6 or whatever is reasonable). It would not be complicated to do this tweak.

Implementing both the above would give Chetboard users the best of both worlds. It would allow those who choose to, to use the new board exactly like the old one. At the same time, it would allow those who choose to, to interface with the board via its current default set up.

Hope I am not out of line by suggesting this. (Although, I have been in trouble here before and survived :roll: )

Randy
Randy Finney

Postby DickThomas » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:12 pm

Change comes hard for many of us, but, like many things, once we get used to the new setup, I think we'll like it. It's easy for people like me who just read and post, and don't have any of the headaches of administering the board, to gripe about changes. However, if this makes it easier for those of you who actually do all the work so that the rest of us can enjoy the board and all it has to offer, I'm all for it. Thanks for all you do (something we don't say often enough!)

Dick
DickThomas

Postby Tompicks » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:41 pm

I will certainly check into the tweak you suggest, thanks Randy.

Tom

Randy Finney wrote:Yes, this is what worries me the most as well. The main reason I visit the board is to hear what the "old guys" - although young at heart! - have to say.

From the comments I have read, I think what some are finding a little uninviting about he new format is that a) discussions are segregated, and; b) the levels of hierarchy (finding and getting up to date on an established discussion requires lots of clicking, page turning, and manual sorting).

Part of the solution is easy and can be "fixed" by the user. First, set your preferences up to log in automatically. Then click on "view active topics" and bookmark the page that appears. When returning to the board, click this new bookmark and you will automatically log in and bypass all the segregation. As an added bonus, this page defaults to a descending sort so you will be able to get a quick read on what the newest post is, however, this will still be limited to only one per topic unless....

....the other part of the solution is embraced by the "Chetboard Brass". This would require the code to be tweaked to show multiple reply posters for each topic (truncated to 5 or 6 or whatever is reasonable). It would not be complicated to do this tweak.

Implementing both the above would give Chetboard users the best of both worlds. It would allow those who choose to, to use the new board exactly like the old one. At the same time, it would allow those who choose to, to interface with the board via its current default set up.

Hope I am not out of line by suggesting this. (Although, I have been in trouble here before and survived :roll: )

Randy
Tom Redmond
Tompicks

Postby David Elliott » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:08 pm

Hi Tom,

I agree 100% with Randy Finney regarding the 'structure' of the new ChetBoard being a little too 'rigid' in topics. I can understand keeping to the subject at hand, but if there is anyway to possibly modify this to allow 'some' small flexibility, it would make for a little more natural imput in discussing related (to the topic')things.

Also, can you explain why I am listed as a 'member', and as a 'registered' user, but there is nothing to indicate that I am online when browsing a particular 'topic'? In other words, how can I get off the 'guest' list, when I have no desire to be anonomous, and I've lived here for ten years? :D

Thanks,
David
David Elliott

Postby JackBowman » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:12 pm

Gary Smith wrote:It is certainly going to take some getting used to. But then, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Well, I have lived by the addage: If it aint broke, dont fix it!

So, guys, email me if you have need to contact me.

Good Luck to all of you for the remainder of your time on this big ole ball.
JackBowman

Postby Doug_H » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:57 pm

David Elliott wrote:Hi Tom,

Also, can you explain why I am listed as a 'member', and as a 'registered' user, but there is nothing to indicate that I am online when browsing a particular 'topic'? In other words, how can I get off the 'guest' list, when I have no desire to be anonomous, and I've lived here for ten years? :D

Thanks,
David

I'm not Tom and am a 'free agent' now, but, ....Log In. ;)

Doug_H

Next

Return to Announcement and News