Legends Thumbpicking Champion is Josh Woods!!!

Welcome to the new Chetboard!

Legends Thumbpicking Champion is Josh Woods!!!

Postby Roger Pratt » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:33 pm

I heard from my buddy Bill Patrick that Josh Woods won the championship and the Gretsch CGP guitar today. He said that Josh really did a great job. This is great for a young man like Josh to win in his first attempt. I knew that Josh was a special talent and could probably do well. GREAT JOB Josh!!!!!
Roger Pratt

Re: Legends Thumbpicking Champion is Josh Woods!!!

Postby BillB » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:58 am

Congrats to Josh!
I can't say I'm surprised after hearing his rapid development in the past months here on the Chetboard. Anyone know what songs he played?

Bill B.
BillB

Postby Joe Hudson » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:34 am

All of the contestants did a great job!! The competition was very stiff and the judges had their hands full. Robert Anderson took first in the Traditional, Josh Woods took first in Contemporary, and Ben Owens took first in Open category. It was a great day and all of the contestants did the Thumbpicking world very proud. I will post the top 5 in each class and so on later this evening after I get back in. Josh definitely had a great day, and is very deserving. He did a wonderful job (as did everyone) and is also a top notch person! Thank you to everyone for a great weekend!

Joe Hudson
Joe Hudson

Postby RonBloor » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:21 pm

I'd just like to say what a great job Joe Hudson did.... He was there organizing, announcing and working hard to make the weekend a success.... and it sure turned out to be a success. Congratulations to not just the contestants but also Joe and his team.
I can't say enough about all the contestants and especially Josh Woods. He is one of the most talented Thumb style players that I've ever heard. At just 23 years of age, he will no doubt lead the way for those who are to carry on this great style of guitar playing.
Thanks again for a wonderful weekend.
Ron Bloor
RonBloor

Postby GaryL » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:30 pm

Congratulations! Anxious to hear that CPG.
GaryL
GaryL

Postby cgprnd » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:37 am

........and after hearing the "CPG", I can't wait to hear the "CGP"!.......lol.

sorry, I couldn't resist! We all do it.

Rande
Rande Dager
cgprnd

Postby Richard Hudson » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:26 pm

Josh seems to be the right kind of young man to carry on this tradition. I am proud for him.
Richard Hudson

Postby RonBloor » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:05 pm

cgprnd wrote:........and after hearing the "CPG", I can't wait to hear the "CGP"!.......lol.

sorry, I couldn't resist! We all do it.

Rande

Yes Rande, you are being naughty, but seriously... I heard Josh play that CGP/CPG and it sounded good right out of the box; however, it does need a good setup to really show off his abilities.... not to mention that Josh was unfamiliar with the guitar when he played it just after winning it... and probably quite nervous!!
I found it interesting that Josh competed with his Yamaha acoustic guitar which may have had a malfunctioning pickup, because he decided to just mic it for the last couple of numbers. So, ironically Josh was playing an inexpensive (possibly malfunctioning) guitar compared to the rest of the contestants and he still won. That just goes to the heart of this win... It was pure God given talent with a lot of hard work thrown in!! Nothing less.
Ron Bloor
RonBloor

Postby cgprnd » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:24 pm

Ron, I agree that he is very good. He has done a lot in a very short time. However, one thing I've learned over the years is that if you've "got it" it usually shows fairly soon in the development process. I've never seen anyone with a huge talent who struggles for years and years and then some sort of "magic" happens in later years where all of a sudden they are able to play all sorts of complex tunes that they couldn't even fathom in the earlier years. I know that people improve over time, but I'm talking about spending decades with no clue about what's going on and fumbling all around physically and then in later years suddenly having great technique and knowing exactly how to play everything they hear. Gifted musicians are usually obvious very early on in their trial and error process. I believe that Josh is one of those.

Rande
Rande Dager
cgprnd

Postby Roger Hardin » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:59 pm

Rande Said:
Ron, I agree that he is very good. He has done a lot in a very short time. However, one thing I've learned over the years is that if you've "got it" it usually shows fairly soon in the development process. I've never seen anyone with a huge talent who struggles for years and years and then some sort of "magic" happens in later years where all of a sudden they are able to play all sorts of complex tunes that they couldn't even fathom in the earlier years. I know that people improve over time, but I'm talking about spending decades with no clue about what's going on and fumbling all around physically and then in later years suddenly having great technique and knowing exactly how to play everything they hear. Gifted musicians are usually obvious very early on in their trial and error process. I believe that Josh is one of those.

Hi Rande

This would make for an interesting topic on another thread. First I would like to Congratulate Josh on his success he is a super player and I too am looking forward to hearing more from him. Also congrats to Ben Owens and Robert Anderson it was a very close competition.

I will say this, I will bet Josh is not a 30 minute a day player. I believe we all have God given talents but, I have never talked to a world class guitarist who did not work his or her tail off. Not trying to disagree with you Rande but every time I hear about anyone who just "has it" I start to think about all the hard work I put into it and I remember Tommy Emmanuel talking about doing 14 hours of practice a day and all the practice Joe Robinson is putting into it. I remember it coming easy when I was young but I also remember a very strong desire and many many hours of practice. I also don't recall ever talking to anyone who has practiced several hours a day and did not make any progress. If someone is an 8 hour a day guitarist and you are not getting anywhere please chime in. I would love to hear from you.

You might be born with a golden ear but those fingers don't come pre-configured. I tend to believe "it" has a lot more to do with desire and commitment than what you are born with.

Thanks
Roger
Roger Hardin

Next

Return to Announcement and News