D.P. Signs With Yamaha

Welcome to the new Chetboard!

Re: D.P. Signs With Yamaha

Postby David Elliott » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:04 pm

texasdw wrote:Guys that was fantastic. What's not to like?!

But I had the same thoughts regarding shape of hands. Actually, his hands are not only small, but looked edematous to me...couldn't see the vasculature/ bony contours, etc. He certainly doesn't look edematous, so maybe it's just the lighting or something.

Regardless, that was cool and a very fine tone indeed!

Edematous? Yes, and besides that, looks like a possible fluid build-up in his hands! :lol:

It would also appear that Mr. Paul has lost considerable weight since his earlier videos were recorded, so it would not be unusual for him to retain some fluid accumulation in extremities.

It has been my experience that the shape of hands, length of fingers, etc. has little or nothing to do with a person's abilities on the guitar, (other than the obvious, such as a mal-formed or injured hand, severed finger, etc. such as Django Reinhart had.) One of the best fingerstyle guitarists I have EVER heard, was an unknown in Denver, Colorado who had short, fat, little "stubby" fingers, which didn't seem to hamper his playing at all!

David
David Elliott

Postby David Elliott » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:18 pm

JeffS wrote:Anyone's experience with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
Jeff Stovall

Hi Jeff,

Well I can't speak from experience with this, but I'd have to think he's using either a Lexicon PCM-42 or similar delay, as his tone and "clean" sound (as you say) is exceptional, and very much like Chet's and Paul's.

That, in addition to the great sound of the G-6122 CG in it's self, is almost a guarantee for a good sound if the player does his part! :)

David
David Elliott

Postby Vidar Lund » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:30 pm

Actually, he´s playing a Nashville Classic. The 6122-59 didn´t become the Country Gentleman until 2007 when Gretsch regained the right to use the C. G. name.
Vidar Lund

Postby JeffS » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:52 pm

Hi David,

Thanks for the reply. I assumed he was probnably using the PCM42 also. I've never had the chance to use one, so I've wandered about the difference between the PCM42 and MX200. There is a huge price difference, so you would assume the PCM42 would be superior.

Thanks,
Jeff
JeffS

Postby David Elliott » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:40 pm

Vidar Lund wrote:Actually, he´s playing a Nashville Classic. The 6122-59 didn´t become the Country Gentleman until 2007 when Gretsch regained the right to use the C. G. name.

Hi Vidar,

I was under the impression that the Nashville Classic and the Country Gentleman were and are the same guitar, with just a different nameplate on the headstock.

No?

David
David Elliott

Postby David Elliott » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:10 pm

JeffS wrote:Hi David,

Thanks for the reply. I assumed he was probnably using the PCM42 also. I've never had the chance to use one, so I've wandered about the difference between the PCM42 and MX200. There is a huge price difference, so you would assume the PCM42 would be superior.

Thanks,
Jeff

I am not familiar with the MX200 at all, so my opinion would be of no value. I do have the PCM42 however, and can vouch for it having a very unique "clean" sound. I just briefly read up on the MX200 online, and it certainly has a myriad of different effects built into it!

David
David Elliott

Postby Vidar Lund » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:42 pm

Yes, David, it is. They are identical except for the tuners. This one was obviously produced during the period from 2003 until the Country Gentleman name reappeared in 2007. My N.C. was built in July 2003 and has the Nashville Classic name plate on the headstock. It´s an early N. C. of the FMIC period with the Grover Imperial Stairstep Tuners. Four years younger and it would have been a Country Gentleman with different tuners.
Vidar Lund

Postby Vidar Lund » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:11 am

The 6122 Country Gentleman appeared in late 1957 (1958 Model) and continued until Chet moved to Gibson 1978-79. It then became the Gretsch/Baldwin 7676 Country Squire, later Southern Belle when production moved to Mexico. Then for almost ten years there was no such guitar. When Fred Gretsch bought back Gretsch in 1989 it became the Country Classic of the pre FMIC period. Then in 2003, thanks to Paul Yandell, the 6122-59 Nashville Classic appeared, which is now the Country Gentleman again.
Vidar Lund

Postby Phil Waldron » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:18 pm

To answer Jeff's question regarding setting a delay ... I use a Lexicon PCM-42 and set my delay according to the tempo of the song. For example if the tempo of the song is 120 bpm then I will divide 15,000/120 (1/8 note) for a delay setting of 125ms. Likewise, for a (1/4 note) setting then divide 30,000/120 = 250 ms and for a (1/2 note) 60,000/120 = 500ms. This is all mathematically based on 60,000 ms = 1 second.
Phil Waldron

Postby JeffS » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:32 pm

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the answer concerning setting delay tempo. I am an engineer by trade, so mathematical answers are always good - I think better when numbers are involved.

Thanks again,
Jeff Stovall
JeffS

Previous

Return to Announcement and News