Jerry Reed's first two RCA albums reissued

Welcome to the new Chetboard!

Jerry Reed's first two RCA albums reissued

Postby craigdobbins » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:17 am

The Unbelievable Guitar and Voice of Jerry Reed/Nashville Underground

Jerry Reed's first two RCA albums reissued on one CD!

I've been waiting for this for years. One of the best remastering jobs I've heard- it sounds like an LP. All the dynamics are there (not squashed like modern CDs and mp3s), and the detail is so great that you can even hear Jerry breathe on the beginning of "Almost Crazy." It's been worth the wait.

Craig

http://www.amazon.com/Unbelievable-Voic ... B007RLKI8Y
craigdobbins

Re: Jerry Reed's first two RCA albums reissued

Postby PhilHunt » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:47 am

It's Christmas in June. I ordered mine the day it was released......can't wait to get it.
PhilHunt

Postby George Beasley » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:57 pm

I ordered mine on Thursday, and it arrived today. Haven't listened to it yet..
Thanks,
George
George Beasley

Postby PhilHunt » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:17 am

HOLY STUMP WATER!!! Got it today and I am blown away at the quality of this!! It is almost Bear Family quality. I quickly unwrapped this, made a backup copy, put the headphones on and sat back and listened to the whole thing.
Did anyone notice these things: The rhythm guitar is heard better, and the little chatter going on at the end of John Henry about 2:16-2:20.
Boy I tell ya what....if they do some of Chet's stuff the way they did this one....we're in for a real treat. The booklet was well written, the studio information was great, and I'm so glad they put pictures of the front and back of both albums.
Guys.....snag this one up!!! It is UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!
PhilHunt

Postby RandeDager » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:16 pm

I ordered mine on Friday and they said it would get here around the 25th, which is over 3 weeks away.
I remember buying one of these two albums in vinyl back in the early 80's and had a tough time tracking
it down and I had to pay $55 + shipping.
Rande
RandeDager

Postby PhilHunt » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:28 pm

Rande,
Awhile back Eddie and I were talking about how years ago it was somewhat hard to find certain Chet and Jerry LP's. You had to really hunt for them at thrift stores, yard sales, or pay out the yin yang from certain guys who had them like Lee Wall.
One guy in particular I use to buy from who had practically every Chet and Jerry LP was a guy in Michigan named John Morris. He is still in business to this this day. His business is called OLD HOMESTEAD RECORDS and he is still operating and selling hard to find country and bluegrass LP'S. He even does trades through mail if you have something he likes. There was one time I told him I was looking for Standard Brands and one day out of the blue he mailed it to me, I think I ended up paying $20 for it which ain't bad.
I remember there were a couple of LP's that were really hard to find years ago: Chet & Hank Snow By Special Request, Standard Brands, Goes to The Movies, Picks on Jerry Reed, Atkins Travis Traveling Show, After the Riot at Newport (which is still hard to find), Jerry Reed Explores Guitar Country, Jerry Reed Cookin', Solo Flights (IN MONO), Hometown Guitar (IN MONO), Jerry Reed Nashville Underground (IN MONO).
Now it seems you can get any of these LP's with just the click of the mouse. I kinda miss hunting and pecking for the LP's the old fashion way. I remember one time (I told Eddie this story), I was in an antique mall and I was looking through a big box of 78rpm records and I spotted Chet's 78rpm on the Bullet label and it had a big chunk that was broken off of it. Would you believe it was the only record that was broken out of the whole box!! I was so mad. Why couldn't it had been a Bing Crosby or Montavani record....but nope...it was Chet's 78 on the Bullet label.
Even though I have all of Chet's and Jerry's LP's I still love to drool over General Gentry's LP's at the Convention.
He's a little pricey...but you can count on getting an LP that is "Stone Mint" (as General would say).
CD's and MP3's and ipods are great...but I still love putting that needle down on the turntable, sittin' back, looking at the album cover and listening to a great Chet, Jerry, or Home and Jethro RCA Victor LP anyday.
I recently found Jerry's "Nashville Underground" in Mono which is practically almost impossible to find....I've never ever seen a copy of it, that's why I jumped on it on ebay.
PhilHunt

Postby Vidar Lund » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:24 am

Here´s a link to Old Homestead Records. This is a real treasure chest.
http://home.comcast.net/~oldhomestead/
Vidar Lund

Postby John Knowles » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:23 pm

My copy arrived today. If you haven't gotten yours yet, what are you waiting for? It's like being in RCA's control room during the sessions. Hold my calls!

My Amazon package included Alan Jackson's new album "Thirty Miles West." AJ recorded two of my son's songs... "So You Don't Have To Love Me Anymore" and "Nothin' Fancy." I'm gonna be up all night.

John
John Knowles

Postby mattburnside » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:10 pm

Great news. Thanks Craig.
mattburnside

Postby Eddie Estes » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:57 am

The first Chet album I ever had was This Is Chet Atkins.
It was an ok sampler of Chet. That is all I had for years.

There was a little record store called Valley Music in our town that also
doubled as the voter registration office.

I found a practically all new copy of Hi-Fi In Focus.
This was around 1978 or 79. It was a revelation.

Fast forward to the early 80s and our library had a copy of Chet's Workshop
album.
Phil and I had never met but we both were checking that album out regularly.

Great times.
Kids now have so much info and technology but looking back I'll take a summer
in 1982 over one now and not because of my age but things were so much simpler
and people had and showed a lot more class then and kids actually knew how to dress.
I have a moral issue with people wearing pajamas to the store!!!
Eddie Estes

Next

Return to Announcement and News