Delvecchio Dinamico

Welcome to the new Chetboard!

Delvecchio Dinamico

Postby Donny Barton » Sat May 26, 2012 8:05 pm

Looking to purchase Delvecchio Dinamico does anyone have one for sale.

dbarton2@triad.rr.com
Donny Barton

Re: Delvecchio Dinamico

Postby Mike Nye » Sun May 27, 2012 6:07 pm

Donny Barton wrote:Looking to purchase Delvecchio Dinamico does anyone have one for sale.

dbarton2@triad.rr.com

Be vwery vwery cwareful . . .

MOST DVs are a RISKY BUY, as their quality control was pretty much non-existent, so DON'T buy 'til you try ! ! !
If BRUTE-FORCE isn't working, you're not using enough ! ! !
Mike Nye

Postby PhilHunt » Sun May 27, 2012 8:06 pm

Mike is right....you could buy 10 of them and only 1 would be playable. However, if you do find one at a cheap price...JUMP ON IT. They don't come around to often. I bought mine years ago for $550 from a little music store up in New York called Top Shelf Music and later sold it to my buddy Eddie.
Most of them have intonation problems and most of the time the actions are a little high. But, with a good repair guy...it can be playable. You pretty much need to take the neck off, get it routed out and install a trussrod, install a new fretboard and new frets, and then it should be somewhat playable.
When you first get one and play something on it....you can immediately hear that Chet tone.
They made two different kinds...long scale and short scale.
Now, if you really wanna a good sounding resonator....Paul McGill makes an awesome one.....pricey....but awesome. It plays like butter.
I meant to add also-to check for the cones...because they prone to getting collapsed, and the biscuits are known to crack underneath and almost split in two, and the bracket over the bridge corrodes over time (cheap metal), and the tuning keys are known to crumble apart over time.
Chet must have really gotten some good Del Vecchios because the ones I've seen online are pieces of junk or have those dang pickups on them.
PhilHunt

Postby Norm » Sun May 27, 2012 10:13 pm

Beard guitars (makes dobros) has DV cones for sale. They make the Mike Auldridge model

Just one of those little nuggets good to know about
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby Norm » Sun May 27, 2012 10:15 pm

Norm wrote:Beard guitars (makes dobros) has DV cones for sale. They make the Mike Auldridge model

Just one of those little nuggets good to know about

Chet must have really gotten some good Del Vecchios because the ones I've seen online are pieces of junk or have those dang pickups on them..."

I think he got his through Nato Lima. I know he bought his first one from Nato and Nato may have picked one out for him on a home visit
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

That should do it.
Norm

Postby Mike Nye » Sun May 27, 2012 10:24 pm

I'd read somewhere that Nato gave a DV to Chet in the 60s when they were in the US doing the Carson and other TV shows . . .
Mike Nye

Postby guitarchuck » Sun May 27, 2012 11:18 pm

Chet had one that Doyle Dykes gave him too. Chet said in the "Me and My Guitars" book that it was an "excellent resonator".
guitarchuck

Postby guitarchuck » Sun May 27, 2012 11:26 pm

Here's a quote from Chet's Me and My Guitars book:

As I found out more about the Del Vecchio, I learned that they aren't made that well. You can buy them out of Brazil pretty cheap, but you never know what you're going to get. The one I got from Nato was a good one, but the bridge on them is usually off, sometimes by as much as a quarter inch, and they aren't fretted accurately, so they won't play in tune. You could go through a hundred of them and maybe find one you wanted to keep. Rather than put myself through that, I just bought one and then sent it to a professional luthier and had it overhauled.
guitarchuck

Postby Norm » Sun May 27, 2012 11:54 pm

Nato "gave" a DV to Chet ..."

On page 15/ of the mamg book Chet said he had to stay on Nato who finally sold him one for 375.00. I think Nato made out like a bandit on the deal

Some "gift"

That should do it.
Norm

Postby Mike Nye » Mon May 28, 2012 12:01 am

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm . . .

I recalled that from memory from 40 some years ago, YOU from a book in your hand . . .

NOT too bad for a brain damaged old fart . . . He did get it from Nato Lima . . .
Mike Nye

Return to Announcement and News