Arthel "Doc" Watson in critical condition

Welcome to the new Chetboard!

Arthel "Doc" Watson in critical condition

Postby rickr » Fri May 25, 2012 9:13 am

Hate to be the first one to post this,,,
Doc took a fall and was rushed to a Boone NC hospital.
The fall was not the problem,, but a host of other conditions
had them airlift him to baptist hospital in winston-salem NC
He is in critical condition and Prayers for Doc are in order.
He is one of my childhood heros along with Chester B.
and when Reflections was released it was like a dream come true.

Rick
rickr

Re: Arthel "Doc" Watson in critical condition

Postby LarryD » Fri May 25, 2012 10:12 am

Prayers and good wishes going out to "Doc" and the family.
LarryD

Postby rickr » Fri May 25, 2012 10:45 am

Doc is still in critical, but improved condition after surgery that removed his entire colon.
I assume his performing days are over, but i will continue to pray for Doc and will
be glad he is still with us.

Rick
rickr

Postby Richard Hudson » Fri May 25, 2012 12:47 pm

That's a shame. Doc has been a prolific entertainer for many years. I have been fortunate to witness him on stage only one time, but it made a lifetime impression on me. He is undoubtedly a very nice person and wonderfully talented. When I saw him he was 84 years old, but put on an unforgettable performance. My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family. I wish him well.
Richard Hudson

Postby smokymtguitar09 » Fri May 25, 2012 5:02 pm

It is a sad day learning that Doc Watson is hospitalized in that condition, and I hope and pray that he recovers. He was a hero to many of us, and an icon here in North Carolina having been featured many times on the PBS outlet UNC-TV along with his most recent pickin' partner David Holt. When they teamed up it was natural with David the front man with his own brand of music and Doc the legendary performer. I was fortunate to speak with Doc at many of his performances and he always let me know that Chet Atkins was someone he respected and was honored to record the Reflections record with him. He was very pleased when it was reissued as a CD. Chet honored Doc by performing at Merlefest along with Paul Yandell one April. Doc played my Gallagher guitar backstage a few years ago and that inspired me to record my Acoustic Guitar CD featuring the Gallagher that Doc played.

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb19 ... guitar.jpg
Ronnie Evans
smokymtguitar09

Postby Alan Copeland » Wed May 30, 2012 7:40 am

Richard Hudson wrote:That's a shame. Doc has been a prolific entertainer for many years. I have been fortunate to witness him on stage only one time, but it made a lifetime impression on me. He is undoubtedly a very nice person and wonderfully talented. When I saw him he was 84 years old, but put on an unforgettable performance. My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family. I wish him well.

Richard, I had planned to meet you for that concert, but was unable to attend. I knew then that I had missed my last chance to see Doc.
Alan Copeland

Return to Announcement and News