Bert Weedon dies

Welcome to the new Chetboard!

Bert Weedon dies

Postby RonBloor » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:03 am

Anybody here know of Bert Weedon?? Personally I've never heard of him, but I guess he was a figure of some note in the "guitar world" of the UK!! I was surprised to see that he was also called "Mr. Guitar"!! RIP Bert.
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Hollywood/2012/04/20/Mr-Guitar-Bert-Weedon-dies-at-91
Ron Bloor
RonBloor

Re: Bert Weedon dies

Postby Norm » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:37 am

Titles like "Mr Guitar" and "Nashville Sound" are made up and pushed by the media.

When you think of it, very few electric guitarists have held their own niche in the global market. Chet is one. Les Paul is another but one might wonder if he would have that status (and the guitar named after him) if Mary had not come into his life. Duane Eddy is another. Ask non guitar playing people today who is the 'best ever' most polls name Jimi Hendrix. The three guys I just named are usually waaaaaay down on the list.

Point being, there are very few guitarists that gain international status. The rest of the better known ones are usually a variation of sideman if you look at it.
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby rhirvine » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:33 pm

I guess he was a like Mel Bey in Great Britton. I have heard of him.
rhirvine

Postby AngusH » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:41 am

Bert was a prolific session player in the 50s and 60s and one of the pioneers of the electric guitar in the UK. He was probably too old to be considered 'cool' by the youngsters in the 60s, and is best known for his 'Play In A Day' guitar method. I tried it in the 70s and many, many years later I'm still rubbish ;-)

His name is synonymous with the guitar in the UK, but I can understand how that wouldn't travel across the Atlantic.

For anyone who's interested, there was a good obituary in The Guardian: http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/ap ... NTCMP=SRCH

Angus
AngusH

Postby RonBloor » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:57 pm

Thanks for that information Angus... all I can say is "play in a day" seems a bit optimistic to me ;) I can imagine that title haunted him, but he probably laughed all the way to the bank :)
Ron Bloor
RonBloor

Postby Vidar Lund » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:13 am

I remember Bert Weedon very well from the early 1960´s. We Europeans used to listen to Radio Luxembourg from the late 1950´s, about the only radio station to broadcast pop music at that time. He stood out among all the singers, playing his electric guitar in a very special way, as I recall today. Another star guitar player with his own trademark sound was (still is) Hank B. Marvin of the Shadows, of course. By the way, Jørgen Ingmann of Denmark was also tremendously popular at that time. He covered the Shadows´ giant hit Apache, which became i No 1 hit in US in his version.
Vidar Lund

Return to Announcement and News