Gibson Chet Atkins CE Custom Shop serial# A002 for sale

Welcome to the new Chetboard!

Gibson Chet Atkins CE Custom Shop serial# A002 for sale

Postby Leozeus » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:27 am

Hi,

I have a Gibson Chet Atkins CE Custom Shop serial # A002.

The instrument is in great shape I purchased it in 1987, new, it was built in 1982.

Does anyone can help me with the value of this guitar.

Thanks,
Leozeus

Leozeus

Re: Gibson Chet Atkins CE Custom Shop serial# A002 for sale

Postby jay » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:18 pm

Theoretically, it would appear that it was the 2nd one made.

Practically (and this is MHO), it was probably the second neck stamped.
Leozeus, if I am to understand it correctly, your guitar sat around for 5 years before you purchased it new? Is there a story behind this?

Hard to tell what it is worth, but watching them lately on eBay, I would say 1300, give or take a couple hundred. The serial might bring in some interest.

If you have time, I would like to ask a favor. I had a guy send me an email that stated "They were serialized in the electronics cavity- you'll see it on the rim when you take off the cover." ...referring to the alpha numeric first run.

If you would look inside yours, I would love to know if there is a serial # in there.

thanks
jay
jay kantor
jay

Postby bill park » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:54 am

jay wrote:If you would look inside yours, I would love to know if there is a serial # in there.
thanks
jay

I would like to know that, too, Jay. It's always been my understanding that the alpha-numeric stamped on the headstock of the original CE/CECs IS their serial number.
bill park

Postby jay » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:23 pm

Bill...

Good Afternoon,
That was my understanding also. And I sometimes am from Missouri, but the guy sent me a picture of of it.
Of course I don't have it any more, but it was the standard serialization # and it was located in the electronics cavity.
I tried to find that email last night, to no avail...my hosting company went belly up and I (use to) imap all my emails ... therefore they are all gone also, from that period of time.

Hopefully we can get some audience participation, from someone that has a early custom shop CE(c).
jay kantor
jay

Postby Phil Waldron » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:35 pm

I have Chet Atkins Custom Shop CE, serial number A-083. I checked inside the cavity and there is no serial number written or stamped in the cavity. The only number is the "Alpha" number on the back of the headstock. Thanks ... Phil
Phil Waldron

Postby Phil Waldron » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:13 pm

I would like to add to this discussion another thought. Like I said previously I have one of the "original" Chet Atkins CE's made in Kalamazoo, Michigan (S/N A083) ... This has been a great instrument and I still enjoy it a lot. If I had any negative comment about it it would be the weight and the sustain issue which can be controlled. I seriously doubt I would ever part with it but since I have been using a Kirk Sand classic lately I have given the CE a well-deserved retirement.
Phil Waldron

Postby jay » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:21 pm

Phil,

Thanks for looking. Wished I still had that email...

I agree with you on the negative aspects. But on the positive side. They play like butter and sound tremendous. Oh...and they are a beautiful instrument whose value has held up well on the secondary market.
jay kantor
jay

Postby Phil Waldron » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:54 am

I agree with you Jay ... they do play like butter and have a classic understated beauty. Nothing gawdy or over-accentuated ... Phil
Phil Waldron

Return to Announcement and News