Jerry Reed's birthday

Welcome to the new Chetboard!

Jerry Reed's birthday

Postby craigdobbins » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:37 pm

Remembering Jerry Reed on his birthday, March 20, 1937.

craigdobbins

Re: Jerry Reed's birthday

Postby joe » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:19 am

There has been a few generous uploaders on youtube lately who have uploaded some wonderful Jerry Reed Footage. The latest of it being the complete set from the Austin City Limits performance where Jerry is in great form with his band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPpWgzT0m30
joe

Postby RandeDager » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:47 am

Craig, if you hadn't started this thread, I was going to. Thanks for reminding everyone. I've been thinking about Jerry the past few days. He would have been 75 today. People who weren't familiar with Chet's style would wonder who was playing with him. People not familiar with Jerry's ability would ask who his backup guitarist was. I was one of those people. I'm not a singer but when I see someone playing more guitar while they're singing than most people can with their mouths closed, I know that I'm witnessing something very special. I've watched Jerry perform live many times and I've never seen any self-accompanist come close to what Jerry was able to do. This has been a rough decade for fingerstyle fans.
Rande
RandeDager

Postby Dave » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:59 pm

Great stuff joe, thanks for posting. :)
Dave

Postby rhirvine » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:31 pm

Wow! He sure could entertain, pick and sing. A true original. I noticed that he used a straight pick on the song link and another one I selected which I presume is from the same performance "Sugarfoot Rag". He really knew how to make a song his own or at least do it in his own style.

Rich Irvine
rhirvine

Return to Announcement and News