What Am I Missin' Here?

Welcome to the new Chetboard!

What Am I Missin' Here?

Postby David Elliott » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:44 pm

I'm sure I'm probably missing something here, but I've looked at this eBay page several times now, and while I don't profess to be an expert on Chet's "Discography", all that stands out about this CD is that it was a great LP album and one of my favorites (I have two of them in the vinyl versions), but not so great that I'd pay SIX HUNDRED BUCKS for it!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHET-ATKINS-IN- ... 2ebb941dc9

Can somebody enlighten me?...

David
David Elliott

Re: What Am I Missin' Here?

Postby Norm » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:18 pm

drinking bad whiskey will do that to your greed button
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby Vidar Lund » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:25 am

I wonder if it´s the orginal recording session made in Hollywood, or the "improved" one that Chet did at home. Anyway, the suggested price is way over the top.
Vidar Lund

Postby Ray Bohlken » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:48 am

I saw the 24KT gold reference in the add and wondered if he thought it referred to the composition of the compact disc as opposed to the qualiity of Chet's music? :roll:
Ray
Ray Bohlken

Postby Randy Finney » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:56 am

When auctioned, these 24K Gold Audiophile versions usually sell in the $200 to $300 range.

His Buy It Now is too much.

Randy
Randy Finney

Postby David Elliott » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:47 am

Randy Finney wrote:When auctioned, these 24K Gold Audiophile versions usually sell in the $200 to $300 range.

Yes, I understand that, but that's exactly my point... WHY...is that? What is a "24K Audiophile version" recording? Other than "cleaning up" an old vinyl recording by eliminating some of the "pops, hisses, and clicks, (with readily available software), why would anybody in their right mind pay this much money for a recording that isn't really all that rare? As I said, I have two of them, (the original with the Gretsch CG on the cover, and the "newer one", with the girl on the cover), and I was unaware that either was particularly rare, as I see them frequently on eBay for sale for $20-$30!

I think I may have answered my own question, in that I'm sure that somewhere out there, there is some idiot who will think that just because the opening bid on this recording is $600.00, that somehow translates into the recording being worth more than $25.00! :lol:

David
David Elliott

Postby Randy Finney » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:43 pm

Oh, I hear you, David.

I personally wouldn't pay 100s of dollars for the gold CD either. Like you, I enjoy my vinyl.

However, audiophiles can be pretty quirky about what they "think" they are hearing, and many are willing to pay to satisfy this quirkiness.

Randy
Randy Finney

Postby PaulBennett » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:00 am

David Elliott wrote:why would anybody in their right mind pay this much money

First Internet protocol rule - Has proven valid in other areas of life too.
Assumptions:
1) that anyone else thinks like you do. NO
2) you really have a minimum of the facts NO
3) you know which party is in their right mind. NO

Quite often the purpose of paying for an eBay listing:
1) gives provenance to a special circumstance you aren't privy to.
2) gives feedback on several issues unrelated to a sale.
3) It's no difference than a car lot putting an odd price on the windshield.
We are constantly bombarded with financial distractions which aren't worth our time. Turn it off and go pet your dog.
Personally, I don't look (ebay or elsewhere) at anything I don't need to buy immediately. That activity is reserved for women possessing your credit card.

FYI I have a 32 your old well running car for $28k if you are interested and the car insurance is mighty low. Negotiable, ain't electric but makes better noise than that record.
PaulBennett

Return to Announcement and News