HELP! Thumbpick Slipping!

Welcome to the new Chetboard!

Re: HELP! Thumbpick Slipping!

Postby Mike Nye » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:37 pm

Norm wrote:"Dr. Scholl's Moleskin" available in most drugstores and some groceries is adhesive backed too. All it is is flesh colored felt. Might be more convenient for you.

GOOD CALL Norm, but REMEMBER to get the ones with NO MEDICATION as it'll soften your thumb nail and it might fall off ! ! !
If BRUTE-FORCE isn't working, you're not using enough ! ! !
Mike Nye

Postby gitzilla2000 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:32 pm

Thanks guys!

Believe it or not, I'm think I'm gonna try 'em all!

Will report back soon with my findings!!

Thanks Again!!!!!

Tim
gitzilla2000

Postby Mike Nye » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:14 pm

I just thought of another trick a player I know used . . .

He'd squeeze a dab of SHOE GOOP onto a notepad; he'd then place the pad of his thumb lightly into the dab for a second.

He'd let it dry, and then slip the pick on when he was ready to play. You can actually do this at home prior to leaving for the gig.

When he was done, he'd peel the goop off.

The perspiration on his thumb made it easy to peel off . . .
Mike Nye

Postby EddieP » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:13 pm

The lick your thumb method works pretty good, but if that don't help get you a cake of fiddle rosin and scratch a little off on your thumb and that will hold it. EP
EddieP

Postby markt747 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:46 pm

I've always changed picks until I got the right one. But my brother used a product you can get from almost any guitar store called "Gorilla Snot" (I know, gross). But it's a very high tack putty type adhesive that is non-slip. Much like contact cement. But you put a little on your thumb, or inside the thumb-pick and it won't move until you work it off. I just never liked having to rely on something like that. But it does work.
markt747

Postby gitzilla2000 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:39 am

The gorilla's must have gone on strike because GS is really hard to find! Found the little tub on Ebay last week that went for around $14.00. Which tells me they may have gone under. But I do think you're right, it'd probably work great!

Gonna re-check ebay right now!
gitzilla2000

Postby Mike Nye » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:48 am

Ya know, I remember posting this several years ago on here . . .

Get some SPORTS GRIP in an aerosol can at ANY sporting goods store.

It's used in Tennis/Racquetball racket grips, as well as enhancing one's grip basketballs and footballs . . .

If I recall correctly, Jack Parsons told me about this over 35 years ago.

He said that he knew a steel player who had a problem launching his thumb pick during solos . . .
Mike Nye

Postby Mike Tomme » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:04 pm

Years ago on the old Chetboard, this question came up. A couple of people recommended a product called Gorilla Snot. As you can imagine, this generated a lot of comment (mainly about the gorilla's reaction when you go to get some), but it was a real product that was said to work. Have no idea if it is still available.
Mike Tomme

Postby JeffS » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:39 pm

I think I read this in one of Paul's comments or maybe in one of his books, but he said he glued a small piece of sand paper inside his picks. This works similarly to Earl Scruggs suggestion to roughen the inside if the pick with a knife.

I've tried both, and they both work well; I think the sand paper works better. The picks that I have roughened with a knife eventually smooth back out, but the sand opaper seems to hold up for a long time.

Jeff Stovall
JeffS

Postby Mike Nye » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:30 pm

I had breakfast at a friend's this morning. His grandson, a football player for the local high school, was there also.

I'd asked him if they used sports grip, he said they did. He said that Big 5 Sporting Goods has it for about $3.50 a can.

He had an almost empty can that he gave me. When I got home I sprayed some on my thumb, and it dried immediately. I put every thumb pick I own on to try it out, and trust me I had to pull 'em off . . .

I even tried it on an Earthwood bass I have here for a fret level and dress. I really had to pluck the strings really hard to get my pick to budge even a little bit.

and it washes off with soap 'n water . . .

So any of you with greasy thumbs and 3 bux should give it a try . . . IT WORKS ! ! !
Mike Nye

PreviousNext

Return to Announcement and News