Paul Yandell

Welcome to the new Chetboard!

Re: Paul Yandell

Postby PaulBennett » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:06 pm

It was FChat which gave me knowledge of Paul, and the posts which developed a relationship. He was so open here with his knowledge but then finally meeting at CAAS he treated me like a lifelong friend. I recall when introducing myself he said "oh you're Paul from Fchat". I wanted to say "No you're Paul from FChat" but didn't.

Truly a special guy, beyond his talent and association with Chet. I loved his dry sense of humor...like "Next thing you're gonna want to know the color of Chet's sox"

While a believer, I don't know what happens after the last breath is taken, but it's a shame for the essence of that life to simply evaporate, unless it really continues on through people who loved him.
PaulBennett

Postby PaulBennett » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:12 pm

Please excuse my use of Fchat instead of ChetForum caused by finger memory and no vision.
PaulBennett

Postby Eddie Estes » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:36 pm

I got to meet Paul for the first time through my friend Gayle Moseley.
It was at the Sheraton I guess at a convention in the 90s.

He still remembered me which shocked me the next time I talked to him
some years later.

Paul was a great friend and I miss the emails I would get from him
every now and then. Some were really funny.
We got to pick together a few times and he really put me at ease
and made me sound better than I really do.

I think of him every day.
Eddie Estes

Postby Fred » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:41 am

I've been spending time with Fingerstyle Legacy DVD...wow, the more I listen the more WOW'd I am about Paul's talent. Chet knew he found gold.
Fred

Postby keener » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:34 pm

I only met Paul once, and it was many, many years ago. It was at some function in Atlanta (I think it was one of the times Chet did a Chastain Park concert). After the show, my friend and I went to Chet's bus (it might have actually been an RV ... memory is a bit fuzzy on that) to go in and see Chet. Paul was standing outside the bus/RV, and I decided to not go in to see Chet, but to stay outside and talk with Paul. I figured Chet sees a million folks and would never remember getting another compliment from me, and I figured very few took the time to thank and compliment Paul. We chatted for a few minutes while my friend was in the bus with Chet. Paul was very easy to talk with. I think it bewildered him that I would spend time with him instead of Chet, but I felt I had to let him know that his Louvin Brothers music had been a great inspiration to me.

I never had another chance to meet Chet. Of course I regret that, but I wouldn't do that night any differently.
keener

Previous

Return to Announcement and News