Chet Atkins - 8 Classic Albums CD-box

Welcome to the new Chetboard!

Chet Atkins - 8 Classic Albums CD-box

Postby Hendrik » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:37 am

Just stumbled upon a new Chet 4 CD-box called "8 Classic Albums". The box is digitally remastered and is from the European label "Real Gone Music". It looks a lot like the "Long Play Collection" CD-box.

The albums are:

• Gallopin' Guitar
• Stringin' Along with Chet Atkins
• A Session with Chet Atkins
• Chet Atkins in Three Dimensions
• Finger-Style Guitar
• Hi-Fi in Focus
• Chet Atkins at Home
• Chet Atkins in Hollywood

You can find it at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/8-Classic-Albums-Chet-Atkins/dp/B006X0K1ZA
Last edited by Hendrik on Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hendrik

Re: Chet Atkins - 8 Classic Albums CD-box

Postby Randy Finney » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:28 am

Have you listened to this? Some of these "digitally remastered" CDs should actually be referred to as "digitally butchered". This one could be great - I have not listened to it.

Neither have I listened to the "Long Play Collection". Is it well done?

Randy
Randy Finney

Postby Hendrik » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:19 am

Randy Finney wrote:Have you listened to this? Some of these "digitally remastered" CDs should actually be referred to as "digitally butchered". This one could be great - I have not listened to it.

Neither have I listened to the "Long Play Collection". Is it well done?

Randy

I don't have neither of them Randy, but it was based on the concept. Both have several complete albums digitally remastered and both boxes contain the albums "Chet Atkins at Home", "Finger-Style Guitar", Hi-Fi in Focus and "Chet Atkins in Hollywood". The "Long Play Collection" however contains "The Other Chet Atkins" and "Mister Guitar".

I know what you mean; mostly they screw up the originals. This is also the reason I prefer the ol' vinyl records. In my opinion nothing beats the sound of a LP (in good shape of course). That's how the recording is meant to be. No cutting off the highs and lows.
Hendrik

Postby bill park » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:56 am

That's the guitar on page 112 of MAMG. Chet said about it:
"It has no name on the headstock, no label inside, and no identifying marks or numbers. I've always thought it might be Italian, but never got around to having that verified. It's one of the prettiest little guitars I've ever seen."
bill park

Postby Hendrik » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:34 pm

bill park wrote:Image

That's the guitar on page 112 of MAMG. Chet said about it:
"It has no name on the headstock, no label inside, and no identifying marks or numbers. I've always thought it might be Italian, but never got around to having that verified. It's one of the prettiest little guitars I've ever seen."

What a coincidence Bill; I have that photo as a wallpaper on my laptop for several months. It's indeed a great photo! A nice looking parlor guitar.

Hendrik

Postby jean-luc » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:34 pm

Same guitar (and same shirt !) on the 1976 LP The Best Of CA and Friends.
I have purchased the 3CDs boxset "Long Play Collection". No booklet, only the CDs.
"Original recordings - digitally remastered" but i think that the Bear Family boxset is the best quality.
Regards, Jean-Luc
jean-luc

Postby AngusH » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:36 pm

That's the same shirt/guitar combination as on the cover of The Best of Chet Atkins and Friends if I'm not much mistaken. I think I'd assumed it was a lovely old Martin parlour guitar but sounds like it might be something more obscure/exotic... does he play it on anything?
AngusH

Return to Announcement and News