Esurance Commercial Thumbpicking

Welcome to the new Chetboard!

Esurance Commercial Thumbpicking

Postby dgallent » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:48 pm

Sounds like Chet....but cannot place the song....a national commercial of Esurance, an insurance company

Anyone else heard it? Glad hear his picking on TV...nice residuals for the family...
dgallent

Re: Esurance Commercial Thumbpicking

Postby Terry Tolley » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:42 pm

I guess you did not see the posting about this very subject in the new messages - but the tune is one that Chet wrote called Jam Man, named after an looping effects box he had just gotten of the same name. It was on his Almost Alone album. Great tune, especially if you had the opportunity to see what he did with it live on stage. VERY entertaining, to say the very least. But....then what else could you expect....he was the one and only Chet Atkins.
Last edited by Terry Tolley on Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Terry Tolley

Postby dgallent » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:51 pm

Thanks Terry....I thought that might be the song but could not remember the name....saw Chet do that live once and left the stage and then walked back when the relay ended and continued playing....

Happy New Year
dgallent

Postby smokymtguitar09 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:06 pm

I saw Chet play it 'live' at Chastain Park in Atlanta after he performed with the Atlanta Symphony. Chet on guitar and his drummer stick-playing a stool. Once Chet got all the tracks down they walked off the stage as it continued to play. The crowd loved it.

Paul gave the Jam Man effect unit to Chet after he gave-up on trying to use it. Of course, Chet pretty soon mastered it and "Jam Man" is the result. Chet could play anything well once he set his mind to it....what a talent!
Ronnie Evans
smokymtguitar09

Postby Gary Smith » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:17 pm

I too, saw that ad on TV and instantly knew it was CHet. I didn't remember the name of the song, so my son went too google and typed in something like insurance ad with chet atkins, and up came JamMan.
When I got home, studied that song and by that evening, I had it down. I don't have all the effects that Chet had, but I like my own arrangement that can be played alone.
Might that be a Jerry Reed tune?
Gary Smith

Postby PaulBennett » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:29 am

Absolutely love that song, it makes the commercial (and keeps playing in my head).

I didn't know (until now) about this looping effect. Apparently Chet used the first version which looped 8 seconds. Latest version loops 30+ hours (youtube has dozens of Digitech JamMan videos). But having listened to the commercial countless times, what was looped? Sounds like classic Chet to me.
PaulBennett

Postby John A » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:36 am

I bought a brand new Jam Man unit with the max amount of time from Broadway Sound Knox and tried about a week to figure out how to do it (I'm too old with this new tech stuff) and then put it in a box and it sits in my extra bedroom. I wish I could find someone that could teach me how to use it. I think it would be a good asset to have. lol
John A

Postby RandeDager » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:38 am

John, you should contact Glenn Burgin. He uses it for regular gigs. I've watched him use his at the Texas meetings. He does a really good job.
Rande
RandeDager

Return to Announcement and News