Chet in Hollywood lp

Welcome to the new Chetboard!

Chet in Hollywood lp

Postby no1maestro » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:19 pm

Being a longtime fan of Chet's, I realized after getting both versions of the album that the solos were different. It has been discussed on other sites but I would appreciate information and opinions from the fans of this site. Thanks in advance for your cooperation.
no1maestro

Re: Chet in Hollywood lp

Postby thenorm » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:05 pm

I believe they had a well written article about the Hollywood albm in the last CAAS magazine did they not? Looked pretty well researched
thenorm

Postby Vidar Lund » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:16 am

This topic has been discussed several times on this board. The first and original version was recorded in Hollywood (of course) with an orchestra conducted by Dennis Farnon on October 23, 1958. That means that the entire recording was done in only one day, solo guitar, strings and everything. Talk about professional musicians. Chet took the master tape home to his own studio, and later recorded his own part once again. Maybe he wasn´t satisfied with his Hollywood performance, but I´m convinced his fans were! Some people, including me, think that the original recording sounds best with a fuller guitar sound. I wonder what guitars he used. In 1958 the first Country Gentleman had been introduced, but he may still have been using one of his 6120s. People seem to be uncertain about when he recorded the new solo track, maybe 1961, which means he probably used his favourite CG. I own the "luxury version" of the JVC CD with a hard cover and a booklet, very nicely done, but the CD contains the second version of the recording. That´s what I know, and I rest my case. I guess more knowledgable people will chime in in due course.
Vidar Lund

Postby thenorm » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:17 am

In 1958 the first Country Gentleman had been introduced, but he may still have been using one of his 6120s..."

The oft' seen photo of the session (with Howard Roberts in the back playing rhythym wihtout his 'shades') shows Chet with a CG but it is possible he used his CGP prototype on his home recording. We know he gave the guitar away twice but I don't think we know exactly when that happened.

(ps edit: Paul has indicated that Chet did not really like the 58 version of the Country Gentleman so odds are he did use a different guitar when he got to his home studio)

Paul's ear would better identify the guitar but at this point it woudl be speculation
thenorm

Postby Vidar Lund » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:54 pm

Yes, the second recording doesn´t sound like his favourite CG. It´s strange that the 1958 CG is being produced again. Chet obviously wasn´t too impressed with it, so it was modified into the CG we still know today as the 6122 Nashville Classic and the present day CG. This topic is always interesting!
Vidar Lund

Return to Announcement and News