Paul Yandell cgp, 1935-2011

Welcome to the new Chetboard!

Re: Paul Yandell cgp, 1935-2011

Postby stambi » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:02 am

I am very sorry to hear that. I will always remember him. Few years ago I send him email and few questions and he answered me immediately. I was very surprised and shocked. A living legend found a time to answer a question to a simple little men somewhere in the world, guitar begginer....Thank you Paul, for your warm words and kindness.
Boris Stambuk
stambi

Postby RandeDager » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:16 pm

I haven't jumped into this thread until now. It's also painful when we lose someone of Paul's stature and taking the time to put our thoughts in writing tends to intensify this pain. I believe that Paul had just started with Chet when I first met him at the very first concert I had ever attended of Chet's without Boots and Floyd. It was in the mid 70's in Lakeland, Florida. Paul was very kind to me and that began many years of conversations with him as I continued to ask all sorts of questions. People were always gathered around Chet and Paul was always off to the side. I learned more of the "inside" and "technical" information from him. I also met Henry Stzrelecki (Chet's bass player for a while) that same night. He told me that he produced the very first album of Tommy Jones on Ovation Records.

Anyway back to Paul, he got me going to the CAAS conventions when I was asking details. I was also got to watch him make that phone call that got Phil & Eddy on the stage in 2009 for that Jerry Reed tribute concert. I had hoped that I would be blessed with his expertise in setting up my new Gretsch 6122-1959, whenever that day comes, like he did for people like Ken Goddard.

It's rare to know anyone content with remaining in the background for their entire career, like Paul did with Chet, Jerry, and the Louvin Brothers. I've known a few background people who were very unhappy not to get the main spotlight. Paul was very humble.I consider it to be a great accomplishment to help someone else to look and sound good on stage. I've missed the last 2 CAAS events and I know that it won't be the same without Paul, even if he could only make a small appearance like he did last Summer. I'll miss him.
Rande
RandeDager

Postby Steve Erickson » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:10 pm

There is only one best at any given thing. Paul was the best at making great guitarists sound even greater. After hearing him on recordings for years I got to meet him and Micah at CAAS and I don't know which impressed me more; his virtuosity on the guitar or his humility. We'll miss you Paul and think of you often. My sincere condolences to the Yandell family.

Steve Erickson
Steve Erickson

Previous

Return to Announcement and News