Paul Yandell cgp, 1935-2011

Welcome to the new Chetboard!

Re: Paul Yandell cgp, 1935-2011

Postby GaryL » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:09 pm

I'm very sad to hear that Paul left us today. My prayers are with his family, friends and the Chetboard brotherhood.
Chet said Paul would "show us how to do it" meaning play guitar and he sure did backing Chet and Jerry and putting out his awesome CD's and his instructional material. I love his playing and compositions. I met Paul several times when he was on the road with Chet. Paul was very kind talking to me after concerts. I will think of him every time I pick up my Gretsch NC.

A true Country Gentleman.

GaryL
GaryL

Postby Chuck » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:18 pm

I'm relatively new to the board, and asked a question a while back concerning what was the best order for my pedals. The first reply I got back was from Paul. He doesn't know me from anyone, but took the time to answer. That's class, but we already knew that a long time ago. Two years ago I had the privilege to hear Paul play near Kirk Sand's table at CAAS. To say it made an impression would be an understatement. Chuck
Chuck

Postby CitationJL » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:07 pm

Micah called me this morning to tell me about the passing of my friend, Paul Yandell. I consider myself so fortunate to have known Paul and to have developed a special friendship with him over the last several years. Years ago, he let me purchase his prized Hascal Haile guitar because I think he wanted to make sure it would stay in the hands of someone who would care for and appreciate it. With that incredibly dry wit that only Paul could deliver, he told me "I don't want to see that on eBay, now John!" I had to laugh at that one.

I'm proud to say that Paul asked me to do the cover art for his "In The Groove" CD and I complimented him on the cleverness of his idea for that design. One of my favorite things to do was whenever I was in Nashville, I would try to go to dinner with Paul and Marie. Just before Paul had to go to the hospital this last time, the three of us ate at Carrabba's restaurant. I think Paul really loved the food there and he always seemed to get a little excited when we decided that was where we were going to go. Although he was getting very tired, we went back to their house where he sat on the couch and played a few tunes for me. I grabbed one of his 6120's and tried my best to play a few tunes for him that I had been working on. He always complimented my playing even though I knew full well that I had no business playing in front of such a great master. I used to joke with him that having me play guitar in front of him was like me hitting golf balls next to Jack Nicklaus. He always laughed when I told him that. When I left the house that night after saying goodbye to both Paul and Marie, I knew he wasn't well. Earlier in the evening, he had told me how much pain and discomfort he was in. I found my eyes filling with tears as I wondered aloud if that might be the last time I would see him. Sadly, that was indeed the case.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the entire family. We all lost a great friend today. Rest in peace, Paul.
CitationJL

Postby LMark » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:28 pm

Paul was a guitarist's guitarist. His contribution to the legacy of fingerstyle guitar is simply irreplaceable. We all play the guitar a little better just because of him. But when I think of Paul, two other characteristics come to mind: loyalty and humility. Nobody was more loyal to Chet and his family (and to his own family and friends, we can be certain), than Paul Yandell. He also rubbed shoulders with a whole host of extraordinary musicians. Paul would probably be upset if someone said this out loud, but some of Chet's own greatness came precisely because Paul was there. We all know that's true. But Paul never seemed to seek out the lime-light. He just kept doing his job, which was to make Chet sound even better--and he did!

Marie and Micah, we are praying for you, and the rest of the family as well.

Sincerely,

Mark Bruffey
LMark

Postby MarkWhitt » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:18 am

My heart goes out to the whole family. Paul was always kind and friendly to me from the first time I met him at the 2nd CAAP Convention. He would always say "come to see me" and I never did. I wish I had seen him this last year at some point; he kinda reminded me of my brother in a lot of ways....man, what a loss, what a player....what a legend...a real cgp.
Mark Whitt (No1Cheffan @aol.com)
MarkWhitt

Postby michael » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:18 am

I am very sad to hear about Paul's passing.
My thoughts are with his family.
michael

Postby MBL » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:55 am

Paul will be missed dearly by all of us. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.
Tim
MBL
MBL

Postby Texican65 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:01 pm

I never had the chance to meet Paul...but still what an inspiration to me...and to us all. He touched soooo many people with his music....and as we have all seen for years here on the board....everybody speaks very highly of him, that says a lot about a man. Thanks for sharing your gift with us all Paul. Love and prayers to you and your family. I'm saddened by this, but death is a part of life, and it makes me smile to think that Paul is kickin' back pickin' with Chet and Jerry right now.

Dow
Texican65

Postby Wayne » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:33 pm

It is truely sad to hear that we have lost Paul Yandell. As with many Chet Boarders, Paul helped me many times with technical/mechanical guitar problems but his greatest gift was his music. I will miss having Paul to play a beautiful song on his guitar. I will miss hearing Paul's history of the real Nashville and his years with Chet.
God bless Paul Yandell and may God be with his family.
Wayne Lewallen
Wayne

Postby Rowbear39 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:40 pm

Truly in a class by himself--he enjoyed the 'dream occupation' of playing next to the 'master' for much of his playing career, and with Jerry Reed--CAAS will not be the same without him, and his quiet presence--so glad I got to hear him on stage again with Steve Wariner in their Tribut to Chet!--one of the great moments at CAAS that I will cherish throughout my life--words never come easy to describe your feelings when events like this happen--Rest in Peace Paul, and now you are back in 'The Band' again!--play on!
Rowbear39

PreviousNext

Return to Announcement and News