Best sound hole pick up for steel string acoustic?

Welcome to the new Chetboard!

Best sound hole pick up for steel string acoustic?

Postby simon way » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:57 pm

Acquired a Tacoma steel string that I'm using for general teaching purposes. Have been a nylon player for most of the time but this steel string gets me creative in new ways so I like it very much. It's got a bluesy voice almost like the Martin 'Eric Clapton' model. Now I need to play it plugged in at Church and some occasional gigs. Are under-saddle pickups the most recommended? Would prefer not to have too much installation and cutting etc so do you think there are any magnetic sound hole pickups that still keep the acoustic sound well enough even though they are magnetic? Always a pleasure to hear from any of you Thanks in advance- Simon
simon way

Re: Best sound hole pick up for steel string acoustic?

Postby RonBloor » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:32 am

Hi Simon, I'm using an LR Baggs M1 Active on an Eastman AC710. It has the approximate size/shape as a Martin EC model. The M1 active pickups have been around for ages and there are probably better models around now, but it produces a good bluesy bass sound for me. No cutting required. You could even dangle the wire out the soundhole if you don't want to size out the endpin for the jack.
Ron Bloor
RonBloor

Return to Announcement and News