I must have missed something

Welcome to the new Chetboard!

I must have missed something

Postby Milton » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:55 am

I haven’t posted on the Chetboard for over six months but felt stirred up to make a comment after reading Bruce Keener’s comments on the posting :A cross between a Gibson and a gretsch”

His comments say “what a complete waste of my time” and I guess if that is the case I must have missed something important. I have been on the Chet board for over ten years and most of us know who the man with the blue guitar is. This poor guy must have committed the unpardonable sin as it shows through in different posts when his name has come up in the past.

Mr Keener has posted a number of videos on youtube and when they come up I usually watch and listen to them and not once have I ever thought “what a complete waste of my time” Some times a member will direct us to a video that has very little to do with Chet’s style but I will usually go and have a look at it and it may not be for me, but I never would say “What a complete waste of my time” I enjoy it for what it is worth.

In case I have missed something perhaps Mr Keener can explain to me and others in what way he wasted his time as I am very intrigued. Is it because the guy parts his hair the wrong way, or his manner or the way he smiles. Perhaps it’s the blue guitar that puts you off or is it simply that he can play Chet’s style better than most of us?

I couldn’t help but think if Chet were alive today and heard him play, would he stoop to say “What a complete waste of my time” I have heard Chet only compliment other guitarists, going to the point of saying they were even better than he was,(which we all know isn’t true). That’s what makes us respect Chet so much. He was not only the best guitarist ever, but a true country gentleman who would only see the best in other guitarists.

I would still like Mr Keener to point out to me and others why he considered this guys videos a waste of time, and why I also shouldn’t waste my time again watching any of this guys other videos.
Milton

Re: I must have missed something

Postby RonBloor » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:47 am

I would not presume to speak for Bruce, but I can tell you that my reaction to Bruce's comment was completely different than yours. I thought Bruce was referring to the this whole issue of bad feelings that seem to exist towards DP and his fans by those on chetboard. Just MY humble opinion about Bruce's comment.
It is very difficult in a forum environment to be misinterpreted.. Quite often because of what we don't say rather than what we do say.
Ron Bloor
RonBloor

Postby keener » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:03 pm

To Milton and any others offended by or interested in my referenced comment:

I appreciate you pointing out that my comment seemed dismissive of DP's talent. It was not intended to be. He is a better player than I will ever be, as are many, if not most, of the pickers on the ChetBoard.

What was a waste of my time was the deceitful way that DP was introduced, with no reference to his name. Had his name been on mentioned in the post, I would have avoided the post altogether. Not that his playing is not good; indeed, it's very good. Rather, I have heard stories how he upset most of the ChetBoard'ers with past remarks about his ability versus Chet's, and it seemed to me to be in poor taste to have one of his videos be one of the first shown in the new board. That was the gest of what I was trying say with my comment.

Basically, Ron Bloor summed up what my feelings were better than I did ... my comment was intended to speak to my frustration at the bad feelings that were being brought back up again, not any wasted time. (I'm retired and spend most of my days wasting time, so time was not the issue.)

Frankly, "the incident" occurred before I joined the ChetBoard, and I have only heard of it second-hand, so I should not have said anything anyway. I was just trying to be "part of the club," so to speak. So, I apologize for that. From my view, not having lived through "the incident," it would be fine with me if we could put it behind us, but that sure isn't up to me.

As to my videos, yes I've posted too many, and yes they probably are a waste of time for some people. But I don't post them as a claim to be better than anyone else ... as I've said before, for all I know, everyone on this board picks better than me. I just like to share what music is in me before it's too late. But, maybe a nice long break is in order. Maybe it's time I learned some new stuff.

Anyway, I hope that clarifies a bit.

Bruce
Last edited by keener on Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
keener

Postby RonBloor » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:19 pm

I for one Bruce don't want you to take a break... Misunderstandings just happen.. Carry on posting videos. Please.
Ron Bloor
RonBloor

Postby keener » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:38 pm

RonBloor wrote:I for one Bruce don't want you to take a break... Misunderstandings just happen.. Carry on posting videos. Please.

Thanks Ron, and I very much appreciate you helping to clarify my remark that led to this thread.

All my best
Bruce
keener

Postby Roger Pratt » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:40 pm

Bruce....You don't have to apologize to anyone. These guys take any opportunity to put mention of DP on this forum. They seem to be like small children intent on getting into a room that is closed to them. You videos and audio posts are most welcome on here and I for one look forward to your next one. This deal just never goes away. Nobody is trying to take anything away from this guy but he has to earn our respect and he will never do it this way.
Roger Pratt

Postby keener » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:00 pm

Thanks Roger. Looks like I stepped in something for sure.

Anyway, it's coming up on the 9th anniversary of the passing of my wife, which has already put me into a no-picking mood, and it will probably last for a few weeks like it has before. So, I will be taking a break for a while, independent of this thread.

I appreciate your friendship, Roger. And, yours too, Ron Bloor.

Take care
Bruce
keener

Postby cgprnd » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:40 am

Bruce, you don't appear to me to have a mean bone in your body. Any potential misunderstanding of any of your posts
would result in me rereading them and giving you the benefit of the doubt.

I'm sorry about the passing of your wife and how the anniversary of that event effects you. I'm wondering how
your music might be if you were to push yourself through this time and actually force yourself to play instead of
taking time away from it? Some of my best music has come from time I spent playing during a traumatic or emotionally devastating time. My wife left me after 30 years and I came up with what I consider to be a beautiful song during that time.

I remarried a younger woman with a family and it looks less likely that I'd be able to retire very soon (I'm 3 months older than you) and devote more time to my own interests during a time when they are all depending on me. In some ways I envy your retirement. There are so many ways I'd like to spend my time, other than how I'm obligated to.

I'll be thinking of you during this significant time in your life. Take care, my friend.

Rande
Rande Dager
cgprnd

Postby keener » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:02 pm

Hi Rande,

I appreciate your very nice message and your friendship. Of course, after nine years, most of the real pain is behind me, as acceptance settles in. The first few years were rough, very rough, but while time doesn't heal all wounds, it does a pretty good job of duct-taping them.

I may pick over the coming weeks. I might not. I just don't know. While I am not in a state of great sadness right now, I am in a funk, as seems to happen every year. At any rate, I am not making any plans for the next few weeks, as has been my approach for the last several anniversary periods. Much of my life has been highly scheduled with too many meetings, too much travel, too many projects, and so I have learned to give myself the freedom from scheduling and planning during these periods.

Thanks again,
All my best
Bruce
keener

Postby bill_h » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:39 pm

I believe the video was a total waste of time on two counts! First, it was a waste of time for me to watch it! Second, it was probably a waste of time on the part of whoever was behind posting it!

Sure, some of us on this forum were tricked into watching a video clip that we normally would have avoided like the plague but to what avail?? As far as I'm concerned there's only one Chet Atkins always and forever!!!!!! I felt that way before watching the videoclip and I still feel that way. Chet Atkins is IRREPLACABLE!!

If Mr. Blue Guitar intends to win people over on this forum maybe he should consider admitting fault, showing remorse, and asking for forgiveness. I can't guarantee it would work but it makes more sense than trying to trick me into watching a video that still doesn't convince me that Chet can be replaced. I admit he plays well but replacing Chet is a claim that no one but no one can live up to!!

Bruce, do what you have to do these next couple of weeks or so. I'll be thinking about you during this time and I'm sure some others on here will be as well. The guitar is your friend and if you need to set it aside for a time I'm sure it will understand. It will still be there when you're ready for it again. I'm sure I speak for many on here when I say you haven't come anywhere near wearing out your welcome. When you're ready to post another video I'm sure lots of us will be glad to watch it.

I apologize to the moderators and Chet's TRUE fans ( the ones that realize he could never be replaced or the ones who would never even think of exaggerating or fabricating claims that Chet has endorsed them in any way ) if I've made things worse by speaking out. I admit that this thread got under my skin a little because that personal attack on Bruce was as uncalled for as those outrageous claims that were made!!
bill_h

Next

Return to Announcement and News