Sad News about Glen Campbell

Welcome to the new Chetboard!

Re: Sad News about Glen Campbell

Postby rhirvine » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:46 pm

I happen to own one. It is called the electric country artist and is a nylon string guitar. I guess the parabolic back made of plastic was supposed to be the main thing, but I always felt it was a drawback if you tried to play it without a strap. It tends to slide off your lap because of the shape and the plastic. I bought it because at the time it was the only production guitar with pitzo electric pickups and the ability to get to the 14th fret where it joined the body. Also it was 1 7/8 inches wide, a little narrower than a classical neck and I have small hands. There are sure a lot more choices these days especially with the cut away necks allowing you to play them even higher and mine.

Rich Irvine
rhirvine

Postby thenorm » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:29 pm

I read somehwere that some folks would use a new chamois skin (auto supply) and lay that on their thigh to stop the skidding of that back.

Ovation had an interesting idea there. The guitar has remarkable clarity and projection but the player doesn't get as much audio enjoyment as he does with your normally constructed acoustics because of the backs.
thenorm

Postby Bluebird_12 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:48 pm

"Just curious...

What features (other than the GC on the fingerboard ) set the guitars apart?"

I don't want to hijack the thread but the guitar in the pic is a Glen Campbell Deluxe Balladeer which differed from the standard Balladeer by having gold hardware, deluxe inlay pattern and Glen's signature on the truss rod cover.

This particular GCDB has the initials at the 12th fret which was only done on a few of Glen's personal guitars. This was built in 1968 just prior to the debut of the Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour and was (is) the prototype for the Glen Campbell signature series that Ovation made (with some changes) for many years.

I have several that differed much more from the production runs. I posted a Country Artist proto a while back that Glen and Jerry Reed had a lot of input into the design of.

Wayne
Bluebird_12

Postby Bluebird_12 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:57 pm

I also have an Ovation electric that was built for Jerry when he was a semi-regular on Glen's show but that is a story for a different thread.

Wayne

Bluebird_12

Previous

Return to Announcement and News