I think I found them...

Welcome to the new Chetboard!

I think I found them...

Postby Pickin Palmer » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:05 pm

Sitting around my breakfast table, this morning, in my "jams" pickin' a bit - cuz it's raining AGAIN here in Columbus, Ohio - I got to sadly thinking how our ailing buddy, Bill Patrick, wouldn't have just let a lick or chord progression he'd want go un-found. He seemed to be able to find everything he wanted to play. Sooo, I poured ma'self another cup o'joe and went after these two chords (inTranscribe) I've NEVER been able to figure out in Chet & Mark Knopfler's sleepy version of Sweet Dreams that had been avoiding me for years. You can play that simple little ditty with 4 or 5 chords - but, their arrangement was FULL of beautiful chord changes that made the tune something special.

The two I'm talking about is at 1:27 in the tune. "I should hate you, the whole night THRO-UGH."

I'm thinking:

A D B F6
"I should hate you, the whole night THRO-UGH."

A B7 or even Bmaj7 sounds funky in there, but I'm fairly sure the F6 is correct? Any of youz guys play this? For you Austrailians - 'ow close am I?

Palmer
Pickin Palmer

Re: I think I found them...

Postby LMark » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:37 pm

Palmer, what's "inTranscribe"? Is it a program? LMark P.S. Do you have a link to the tune? I found more than one version out there (at least one studio and one live).
LMark

Postby LMark » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:38 pm

Palmer, I've been listening to this tune (CD version) for a bit now. I think we have a B followed by a Dm6:
x-x-3-2-0-1 or x-x-7-7-6-7. LMark P.S. Chet's resonator sounds fabulous on this tune, doesn't it?
LMark

Postby Pickin Palmer » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:40 am

Thanks, Mark... I'm distinctly hearing an Eb to D harmony note from the strings in the "band" behind Chet - which fits better with a F6 - because that 6th is the D note I hear... But, I guess either will do..

Transcribe - is a software product that should have been made illegal for us "almost" musicians years ago. It's a "slow down - without changing pitch" tool that has allowed us to "almost" get a lot more stuff than we prolly should have only been allowed to get by ear.... Where was this 60 years ago when we were (at least I were) putting my thumb on a Chet record trying to slow him down - and, lifting the needle up - and, back - and, back... and, swearing... and, swearing.... and, still not getting it? Well, throw your fav Chet tune in Transcribe - frame the part you want to figure out - and, it will repeat that part over and over and over - and, you can slooooooow it down to 30% actual speed... VERY HELPFUL.... And, I still don't get a lot of it... LOL
Pickin Palmer

Postby LMark » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:41 pm

Yeah, those pros just throw in little turns of phrase instinctively and we sit around trying to figure it all out. LMark P.S. (again) Hmmm, x-x-3-4-3-1 would also meet the requirements for the D note, wouldn't it? I'm hearing a minor quality, if we're listening to the same segment.
LMark

Postby Pickin Palmer » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:12 am

Mark, I ran the B, F6 transition past the "circle" this past Tues evening and when I got to that part I just yelled out BEEEEE and FFFFF6... (most had no idea how to put in a 6 - so, they just grabbed a F.) And, it sounded very good - almost professional... Yikes... the next thing they are going to want me to record another CD: "Twelve Moore Toons Palmer Ain't Quite Got a Handle On!"

Palmer
Pickin Palmer

Return to Announcement and News