Doyle Dykes Concert

Welcome to the new Chetboard!

Doyle Dykes Concert

Postby Tom Workman » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:13 pm

Hi, everyone. Just thought I'd share this for what it's worth. Last night a "guitar buddy" of mine accompanied me to our first ever Doyle Dykes concert at the Palace Theater in Greensburg, PA and it was fantastic. I don't know whether I should burn my guitars or practice for a solid year (without eating or sleeping)! As a bonus, Bob Bennett, singer-songwriter performed solo also and later on he and Doyle performed Amazing Grace together and it was just beautiful. After the show I was able to have a short conversation with both of them and when Doyle found out I used Fred Kelly speed-picks, he handed me the one he used in his performance, a nice little momento, indeed. I was using it to warm up before our church service this morning and our pastor asked me if it improved my playing to which I replied, "not yet!", ha-ha.
Anyway, if you go to Doyle's facebook page, there are some videos from last night already posted there. - regards, Tom W.
Tom Workman

Re: Doyle Dykes Concert

Postby DagerRande » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:47 pm

I first met Doyle around 1991 in Southern California when he was still a pastor performing in churches around the country. In 1999 he did a Taylor clinic with 6 models of Taylors and I was struggling with my weak nails and wondered how he could play those steel string guitars for 2 hours with so much intensity? He told me about acrylic nails and said a lot of fingerstyle guitarists in Nashville and all over were using them. I immediately started using them and have been now for nearly 17 years. A few weeks ago Richard Smith told me he had just switched from acrylics to "hard-gel". So now that's what I used now. However, Doyle was my inspiration who started all of this!
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby Tom Workman » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:41 pm

Hi, Rande... Ironically I had just finished trimming my nails on my fretting hand before sitting down to read the latest Chet-board posts. (Gotta keep 'em really short on my left hand.) Fortunately I'm blessed with pretty durable and fast-growing nails on my picking hand and I play a lot. It seems I'm filing and dressing them up every 3 or 4 days or so. A couple of times I've broken one off really short and my cosmetologist daughter was able to do some "body-repair" work on it until it grew back. She built the nail up with some kind of potent smelling stuff that hardened right away, filed and sanded it and I was back in business!
Tom Workman

Postby DagerRande » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:14 pm

Tom, my dilemma is that my real nails have the right amount of flexibility but break too easily and the acrylics and hard gel have basically no flexibility and are like playing with pieces of stone protruding from the ends of my fingers. I have to concentrate on relaxing my picking fingers enough so that they glide better over the strings. I practice a lot and can move they pretty fast but it's no fun when my nails catch the strings and mess things up!
Rande Dager

DagerRande

Postby rhirvine » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:53 pm

To Rande Dager: I attended a Doyle Dykes Taylor guitar demonstration/concert around 1999 or so at World Music in Simi Valley and remember thinking the same thing "how do his nails stand up to the strong picking he does on steel strings. I wasn't blessed with strong nails at all especially on my right ring finger. I have struggled with this problem all my guitar picking life! Do you have any links for the fingernail technologies you mentioned? I was so amazed by his playing that I went away "scarred for life" as it were.
rhirvine

Postby DagerRande » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:14 pm

Hi Rich! I used to go to World Music all the time when I lived in Newbury Park! My experience with Doyle was the same year you were in Simi Valley but it was in Northridge off the 118. I've been away from there since 2005 so I can't seem to remember the name? Maybe you would know?

I'll see what I can find for you about the nails. They are usually Vietnamese people and do a very good job. Mine were first done in Thousand Oaks, and since then I've had them done in Texas, Washington, Maryland, and Michigan. They have all done a good job.

By the way, my youngest daughter lives in Camarillo and works in Westlake Village. I'll be out to see her in about the middle of August. I'd like to meet you! Let's talk!
Rande Dager

DagerRande

Return to Announcement and News