A 6122-1959 on sale on Ebay with a Bigsby Palm Pedal

Postby Ray Bohlken » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:12 pm

I found this guitar on Ebay and it has a fairly low starting price. It has the Bigsby Palm Pedal installed and looks kind of cool. Has anyone ever used a Palm Pedal? Is it a good effect? I always liked gadgets, so things like this kind of fascinate me. I'd bid on it myself, but I just got an NC a couple of months back, so I don't need another one in the closet. :D
Ray

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gretsch-6122-59 ... 3a79daebcf
Ray Bohlken

Re: A 6122-1959 on sale on Ebay with a Bigsby Palm Pedal

Postby Vidar Lund » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:40 pm

Vidar Lund

Postby Norm » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:28 pm

The palm pedals do what they're designed to do but unless you want to substitute for a pedal steel in a band they're kinda like a one trick pony. It would take a while to get fluent with it.

Personally, I wouldn't replace a straight Bigsby with one. Good for a second guitar tho.
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby Ray Bohlken » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:13 pm

Vidar, thanks for the info - I appreciate it. Norm, I like the regular Bigsby, too...I'd just like to try a Palm Pedal out one of these days. I'm sure it wouldn't take long for me to get over it. :D
Ray
Ray Bohlken

Postby Norm » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:16 pm

Closest I ever got to one was when a guy (Pete Grant I think his name was) brought one into the store I was working at. He had one set up on a Dobro of all things and could work it pretty well. I didn't try it.
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby gmoseley » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:55 am

I had some experience with one and didn't care for it. Back in the early 70's I was playing in a country band covering top 40 tunes of that era. I bought a Gibson 355 that had the palm pedals on it,,,,the main reason I bought the thing was that Pete Wade, the well known Nashville session player and guitar player for Ray Price, was using one on his 355 and I was wanting to be able to copy some of his licks.

I could never get the pedals to consistently go back in good tune,,,,seemed like they would sometimes drag a little and it drive me nuts - a hair sharp, a hair flat,,,I couldn't put up with that. Later I found out that Pete Wade's unit was something designed by Shot Jackson at ShoBud Guitars (the famous steel guitar maker). I think Chet had one of the Shot Jackson units on his beloved '59 CG at one time, but evidently he didn't care for it either because he didn't use it long before he took it off! I don't know,,,maybe they are better designed today than they used to be but that regular palm pedal unit I had 40 years ago wasn't too satisfactory. I ended up trading that 355 for a Gretsch CG.

Gayle Moseley
gmoseley

Postby David Elliott » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:07 pm

Norm wrote:Closest I ever got to one was when a guy (Pete Grant I think his name was) brought one into the store I was working at. He had one set up on a Dobro of all things and could work it pretty well. I didn't try it.

Just as a matter of curiosity (since I've never used one), what was/is the purpose of a "Palm Pedal", as opposed to just a regular Bigsby tailpiece? Cost savings? Ease of use? Ease of installation, etc. ?

Nearly everyone who HAS used one (including Chet and Paul Yandell), seemed to have not been too enthusiastic about them, so I'm wondering if they weren't/aren't just another Gretsch "gimmick" accessory (ala Jimmy Webster?) :roll:

David
David Elliott

Postby gmoseley » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:14 pm

Hi David, they have a 'stop screw' you set and then you can lower a string to a given pitch, a'la like a steel guitar sound. When you release the palm pedal, the string returns to its original pitch (if you're lucky) - -therein lies the problem, sometimes it may 'drag' a little and not come all the way back to pitch - - and THAT will drive you nuts :o
I never really thought of it as a "Gretsch gimmick", it was just another accessory you could add on any guitar, At that time late 60's, early 70's they were fairly popular around the Nashville circles,,,,guitar players trying to get a steel sound. Phil Baugh had a complete pedal setup on his Peavey 6 string,,,,floor pedals and all. Shot Jackson made that for him down at ShoBud. He could pull all six strings with his foot as he played. He was good at it and worked a lot of TV shows back then.

Gayle
gmoseley

Postby Barry Oliver » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:07 pm

Here is a link to see the foot pedal setup that Shot Jackson put on Phil Baugh's guitar.

http://a4.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/13/543e9921dd58ee56c0e3df23ce1f4749/l.jpg
Barry
Barry Oliver

Postby Vidar Lund » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:25 pm

The Bigsby Palm Pedal is a development of the B Bender intended for the B string to change one note up to C to emulate a pedal steel guitar. Thence the strange name Palm Pedal, because a pedal really is meant to be operated by the foot.

From Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B-Bender
Vidar Lund

Next

Return to FOR SALE or TRADE