Chet Arrangements That No One Covers

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Re: Chet Arrangements That No One Covers

Postby Doug Working » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:40 pm

We're on the same wavelength. I was thinking exactly that. As a matter of fact, I find myself doing that more and more.

Of course, Chet was light years ahead of us. He had all these things figured out probably when I was a twinkle in my daddy's eye.

Till the day I die, Chet will ever be the teacher, and I will ever be the student.
Doug Working

Re: Chet Arrangements That No One Covers

Postby Doug Working » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:32 pm

Working on "Take My Hand Precious Lord," it is really standing out to me how great Chet was at making the most of triads for creating melody. He could take a simple, basic triad and squeeze so much musical tone out of it.

The arrangement is excellent, but I can see how it needs the rhythm backing behind it. Some arrangements sound a bit thin without the backing. This is one of them.

So I'm learning it with the intention of playing it in church, but I can't figure out a way to get a rhythm backing for it. I wish someone else in my church played guitar besides myself. We have a keyboardist, a bass guitar, drums (my pastor or his son,) and me. If we had someone else to play rythym guitar besides me, that would be the bee's knees.
Doug Working

Previous

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins