Chet / Kentucky in CGDGBE tuning

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Re: Chet / Kentucky in CGDGBE tuning

Postby rhirvine » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:09 pm

Is the tune "Londonderry Air" used for any hymns that you know of?

Rich Irvine
rhirvine

Postby Barry Oliver » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:25 pm

Try this, won,t guarantee its accuracy but about as close as your going to get:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Londonderry_Air
Barry
Barry Oliver

Postby Doug Working » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:25 pm

rhirvine wrote:Is the tune "Londonderry Air" used for any hymns that you know of?

Rich Irvine

"He Looked Beyond My Fault And Saw My Need." By Dottie Rambo

At least that's what I'm doing it as!
Doug Working

Postby DagerRande » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:56 pm

I've also heard it used as an alternative tune for "Amazing Grace".
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby Doug Working » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:24 pm

I'll bet that with a little imagination, there are truly a LOT of tunes we could arrange with that alternate tuning!!
Doug Working

Postby DagerRande » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:26 pm

Doug, I was talking about songs using that specific tune, not about the tuning. I agree with you.
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby Doug Working » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:39 pm

Oops! My bad.
Doug Working

Postby kwarren » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:33 am

I have one guitar that I always keep in this tuning (DGDGBE) because I regularly play Chet’s arrangements of Wheels, Vincent and Both Sides Now. So, I decided to take a stab at Kentucky since it uses this same tuning. Not having worked up a Chet arrangement in some time, I was quickly reminded that Chet makes it look easy but when you put your fingers to the fretboard, you soon discover that it is nowhere near easy! :(

I can tell you without any doubt that there is no string tuned down to low C. The clear indicators are;
The low D note repeatedly played on the open 6th string around minute 1:54 on the video.
The next lowest note is the low G on the open 5th string which is the last note of that incredible run around minute 2:13 on the video.

The top 4 strings are in standard tuning.

Here were (are) my challenges in learning this tune:

* The chords are not difficult but the D9 chord barred at the 2nd fret where Chet then uses his pinky to bar the top 3 strings at the 5th fret is a tough one for me. (It reminds me of the opening chord on Jerry Reed’s Struttin’). I don’t have a very strong pinky so nailing this chord will take some time.

* The super cool run at 2:13 on the video is now one of my favorite Chet licks! Even with watching the video it still took me a solid hour and a half to figure this out (with both right and left hand fingerings).
Playing it as smooth and at the tempo Chet plays it will definitely take some time!

* Getting all the Phrasing and timing of the melody lines and riffs throughout this piece is more of a challenge then a thought it would be. Again, Chet always makes it look easy. :?

Once I have this piece under my fingers, I may tab it out (if time allows).
kwarren

Postby Doug Working » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:09 pm

That was a good post. I worked with the video, and I think I pretty much got it figured EXCEPT for those killer runs. Especially the one just before he flashes that sly grin!

I can do that pinky thing that you mentioned. You are right. That is similar to the technique he used in "Struttin',, which I happily picked up from John Knowles.

The very last chord of the tune is abruptly cut off in the video. But we can use our imagination and kind of fill in the blanks on the ending.

All these arrangements in thus alternate tuning got me to really working with the tuning again, and I even re-learned "Yellow Bird," from Chet's original arrangement.
Doug Working

Postby kwarren » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:12 am

For anyone interested in learning cool run Chet plays in the Kentucky tune, I tabbed it out for you here.

I've included both right and left hand fingering as best as I could tell from the video performance.

Enjoy! :D
Attachments
Kentucky.JPG
Last edited by kwarren on Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
kwarren

PreviousNext

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins