Mr. Sandman

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Mr. Sandman

Postby albertgen » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:43 pm

I'd sure like to know how got that tone on Mr. Sandman on TV, also how he got that sound on 12th street Rag in F and C7 pulloffs? thanks Al
albertgen

Re: Mr. Sandman

Postby DagerRande » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:11 pm

Al, I know that everyone hopes to know the specific details in answering your question because if we can get the exact guitar model, strings, pickups, nail hardener, etc., then maybe we'll have a chance to duplicate the sound we're after. However, there always seems to be a "missing ingredient" which varies with each individual.

I'm reminded of the time that I bought Olive Garden's special dressing and what I thought were their exact ingredients and tried to recreate their salad at home. I failed.

I still like to know the answers to questions like yours so that I can at least get closer! :)
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby Doug Working » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:30 pm

You guys are right. There always seems to be that magic, elusive missing ingredient. Sometimes only God knows what that is.
Doug Working

Postby Steve Sanders » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:57 pm

Well, I'll chime in here with my unsolicited opinion! One thing that a lot of folks, guitar players, and Chet fans overlook is unless you are right there in person listening first hand to what is being played then the sound and tone is subjective. What we finally hear and try so desperately to emmulate is the "recorded" sample after MUCH processing. Even recorded live TV shows have their sound men put their spin on the audio. And studio recordings are WAY more processed. The ONE thing most folks overlook is the ol' proverbial microphone! There are just so many to choose from (ribbon, dynamic, condenser, etc) and each with their own unique tone. Course Chet and Bill Porter were experts in selecting just the right one for the job at hand. Then you have to consider the console / mixer. Then add the good ol' RIAA dynamic curve added to the vinyl. Sooooo many things just stack up to make the final product. Some folks swear the "magic" is "in the hands" and a certain portion is. But you still have to consider all the other stuff Chet used to get his signature sound and tone. And he sure did like to tinker and mess around. I think he stayed up late at night just trying to figure out ways to drive the rest of us crazy!! Some of my favorite Chet sound / tone is on his "Stringin' Along" album. It's just got that sizzle and clarinet-like hollowness that sounds real good to me! Sorry for all the ramblin'!!! Steve
Steve Sanders

Postby Doug Working » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:18 pm

Hey Steve,

That was a great post! Those things you mentioned are good insight. They are things I never even considered. Just stuff we take for granted.

But you are right. There's definitely a LOT more to it than meets the ear.

And as far as tinkering, yeah! Chet sure did a lot of that!! It's how his brain worked, and I don't think he could have changed that part of him, and we are all so much richer, musically because of it.

There will never be another Mr Guitar. No one can fill his shoes. So we all just try to honor him by playing the best we can, emulating the master.
Doug Working

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins