From Russia With Love

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

From Russia With Love

Postby Doug Working » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:04 pm

This young man is pretty good. Fine teacher, too!

But my point is, when I watch a video like this, even though we all here already know this, it's good to affirm occasionally, that Mr Guitar, the country gentleman from the lazy Clinch mountains in Tennessee, has his influence felt all the way across the globe. That's why videos like this make me feel so good.

Now I can't say for sure, but I'll take a guess, that what we take for granted here in the USA, that is, Chet's recordings, may not be so easy to come by where this young man lives. That's my guess. So for him to obtain copies of Mr Guitar's music may be like pure gold to him. He probably had to have an unusually passionate desire to be able to get them in order to learn them. My hat's off to him!!

Well, of course all Chet's recordings are gold, but I mean it in a different sense. Either way, I feel mighty proud of this young man from Russia. May God bless him with all the Chet success he aspires to!

https://youtu.be/Q8Qiq7SXpgY
Last edited by Doug Working on Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Doug Working

Re: From Russia With Love

Postby Ray Bohlken » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:01 am

Doug, this was really neat. He did a great job of playing and teaching. i sure enjoyed it and I book marked it so I can go back and try to learn the song and the SUPER LICK. Well, i know I won't learn the Super Lick. :(
Thanks for posting this.
Ray
Ray Bohlken

Postby Doug Working » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:10 pm

Yeah, I think I've met my match with the super-lick, too. Lol.
Doug Working

Postby DagerRande » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:56 pm

Doug and Ray, I would separate the word "learn" into two different categories:

1) Mentally knowing exactly where to put your fingers to get the right notes.

2) Being able to actually play it and having it in your "muscle memory". This is the physical nervous system
component.

The second one has always been my issue for the more difficult songs. I've had #1 down for the "superlick" for several decades, not to mention many others that I can't execute well. I used to show Tommy Jones how to play certain sections of songs that he was curious about and it was embarrassing how easily he could play them when I couldn't. I taught him "Huntin' Boots" and I have him playing that middle part for me on VHS tape somewhere.

So my point is that the HOW TO has never been the mystery for me but to flawlessly perform the ones I would like to is a lost cause. :-)
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby Doug Working » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:55 pm

I have to agree.

For me the hardest part has been getting over the hump of #1 so I I can even get to #2! I'm always like HOW THE HECK DID HE DO THAT?

But books help. I've got lots and lots of Chet books that show me the roadmap for his fngers.
Problem is, the Chet tunes I really, REALLY want to learn, nobody has bothered to transcribe.

Same thing with classical pieces. I've got dozens and dozens of books with classical etudes and arrangements. I work on them all the time. They show me how good I am NOT, but how good I SHOUlD be.

For the # 2 part, my solution is simple. Work my fngers to the bone. It might take me a year or two to nail a tune, but it's my reward for hard work.

My motto? Never, never quit, and there is ALWAYS room for improvement. ALWAYS!

PS. I still don't ever see any hope for me to learn the Superlick.
Doug Working

Postby DagerRande » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:12 am

One more prerequisite for me to continue to persevere is to have made small incremental steps in improvement and to be able to recognize that I have. I'll have to admit that if I hit a "brick wall" and realize that I'm no better (however you define that) today than I was a year ago, or even a month ago, then I won't be as inspired to continue on that path.
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby Doug Working » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:50 pm

I know what you mean about those brick walls. Ran into more than a few in my time.

There have been times in my life when I put the guitar down for months; let it gather dust due to discouragement; just let it sit there in the corner. Just stared at it.

But I hope and pray those times in my life are over.

I was encouraged Saturday. Played in church, (I'm on the music worship team) and they asked me to start the music with a guitar solo. (Opening riff) We always come in an hour or two early and rehearse before service starts.

Anyway, I did my opening riff as we had practiced, and after service I was blown away by a plethora of compliments on how GREAT the guitar sounded.

I honestly was not expecting that. Caught me totally by surprise. But it was encouraging. Now if only everybody in our congregation knew how many years I worked my fingers raw to get to that level. I think they have no inkling. But that's OK, as long as they enjoyed it and God was glorified.

Anyway, I wonder if Chet ever ran into any of these "brick walls," and how he tackled them.
Doug Working

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins