Robert Conti playing Bluesette

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Robert Conti playing Bluesette

Postby rhirvine » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:28 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcKkNZc4goU

I happened upon this performance a few years back. Not a finger picker, but a straight up bebop jazz player. I have been fascinated with the tune since I heard Lenny Breau play it on an early RCA album. Over the years I tried to figure out the chords but never could. It is rich in chord changes I believe. I hope I'm not too out of line putting up a link for a non finger picker but I like Conti's take on this great tune. BTW Lenny's rendition on that album "the velvet touch" is still my favorite. I wish there were studio videos of him playing it for the album but it was in the late 60's and it would have to be filmed probably. I imagine the budget wasn't that large for a mostly unknown guitarist (except by Chet).

Rich Irvine
rhirvine

Re: Robert Conti playing Bluesette

Postby DagerRande » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:35 pm

Rich, the harmony and chord complexity makes up for it!
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby Doug Working » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:00 pm

If John Goodman could play guitar....

But seriously, that guy has some CHOPS! I diligently practice scales for hours on end, and I will NEVER be even close to that.

I really, really liked that. Of course, I like Chet's take on the tune better, but that's only natural.

This guy is really, really good.

Doug
Doug Working

Postby LMark » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:34 pm

That's a fascinating toon. I found this page interesting: https://www.jazziz.com/short-history-bl ... mans-1964/ LMark
LMark

Postby Pickin Palmer » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:51 am

This has been one of my fav jazz tunes for a long time - probably because I heard it on Chet's "Progressive Pickin" album so many years, ago. It's one of those tunes I would have NEVER tried to figure the chords out to - but, somehow I ended up finding them, once (I think off Mike Joyce's arrangement in TE - no chords - you have to figure them out from his phrasing) - and, it's just about every possible chord in a progression. It's in the key of G and actually has an Ab progression in it. Mind blowing!

I've requested the tune from every jazz group (or, soloist) I go hear. All of them seem to know it well - maybe a classic tune to practice when you are learning jazz. It was being played in every venue around Columbus when Toots died two years back.
Pickin Palmer

Postby Ray Bohlken » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:41 pm

That was wonderful! I had heard of him, but never heard him play. I really enjoyed that performance and song. Thanks for the post. I'm looking forward to checking out some more of his videos on You Tube. I sure enjoyed Chet's version of Bluesette,too.
Doug, I'm being funny here, but there is an actual video of John Goodman playing guitar and singing on the old Roseanne show. Here is a link to it. I thought I remembered him playing and singing once a long time ago. :)
Take care.
Ray

https://youtu.be/J4cUKNwQAkE
Ray Bohlken

Postby rhirvine » Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:13 pm

Thanks for the great links! I really enjoyed the article and performance links for the tune "Bluesette". What a talent Toots Theilmann was. I had only thought he played the harmonica but that guitar and scat whistling really was something. Also I always knew that John Goodman has a rich baritone to bass speaking voice but his singing sounds good too. Also I had forgotten that Chet did a version of this which I really like now that I've refreshed my memory of it on Youtube.
rhirvine

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins