Roy Clark R.I.P

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Roy Clark R.I.P

Postby Joeb » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:34 pm

I just read that another great brotherhood picker has passed on. Roy was 93. Thanks for all the great laughs on He-Haw and those super fast as lightening guitar licks you pored out over the many years.R.I.P. O'l Roy
Joeb

Re: Roy Clark R.I.P

Postby Roger_Pratt » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:26 pm

RIP Roy......you sure was a good one!!
Roger_Pratt

Postby Roger Chevrier » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:30 pm

Around 1974 Chet Atkins did a concert in Toronto Cananda at the CNE. He was touring with "Boots" Randolph and Floyd Cramer. Drove down five hours from my home hoping to get a ticket. I did and was seated in the nose bleed section with my binoculars. Lo and behold the opening act was Roy Clark.
Talk about the icing on the cake. Roger
Roger Chevrier

Postby Doug Working » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:00 pm

I am so very sad to hear of Roy's passing.

I loved Roy!

But the comfort comes from knowing that during his life he did what he was born for. (Besides Chet, nobody could pick 'em like ol' Roy!)

I loved his early career guest appearances on The Beverly Hillbillies, and his skits on HeeHaw with Archie Campbell we're classic. (That's bad! No that's good!") And those pained expressions he would purposely make when pickin' guitar, like it was "so hard," which (his genius) really enmphasized how incredibly easy and effortless it was for him!!

The day I discovered "The Lightening Fngers Of Roy Clark," album, I was blown away.

Then there was "Thank God and Greyhound You're Gone," "Yesterday When I was Young," "The Tips Of My Fingers," and a hundred hits that only Roy could sing like that.

I sure am going to miss Roy, the entertainer of the year, and in my opinion, one of the greatest entertainers of all time.

RIP ROY! Pick a tune or two with Chet for us!!
Doug Working

Postby DagerRande » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:31 pm

Joeb, Roy was 85. He was born in 1933. We will miss his great entertainment ability! I was a faithful fan of "Hee Haw" when I was in the Army.
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby Ray Bohlken » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:11 am

I was a big Roy Clark fan. I have right many of his LPs and I still listen to them occasionally. I am going to break a couple out tomorrow and sit back and enjoy. The first one I got was "The Lightning Fingers Of Roy Clark" and, being young, I was caught up in the speed that he played songs, but I came to enjoy his slower songs and his singing. He was kind of a hoot, too, when you'd see him on the Tonight show when Jimmy Dean would substitute for Jack Paar sometimes. I only saw him live once when we ventured out to Branson and caught him at one of the theaters there doing a Hee Haw revival show. He played great that night. He used to play with Chet in the Million Dollar Band on Hee Haw, sometimes, too. It's very sad news.
Y'all take care.
Ray
Ray Bohlken

Postby rhirvine » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:54 pm

I am a huge fan of Roy Clark even before I learned about Chet Atkins. Never could play any of his stuff because I'm not fast. I got to meet him and shake his hand when I was in the USAF in the late sixties, early seventies up in Alaska when he toured there. I happened to look out my barracks window one afternoon and there he was coming to do an interview and some music for armed forces radio which had a studio in the basement of my barracks, I ran down the stairs to meet him and he shook my hand. He then invited me to his interview. It was great. I was however by that time an even bigger fan of Chet Atkins but still it was a thrill that I hope I never forget.
rhirvine

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins