OK . . . Where's Paul Yandell & Al Bagetta ? ? ?

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Re: OK . . . Where's Paul Yandell & Al Bagetta ? ? ?

Postby dgallent » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:11 am

My only concern here is the legacy of Chet, Jerry and Merle....period. I have no personal agenda and nothing to sell, etc. For the first time, I am running into people who never heard of Chet. They know Jerry only from Smokey....
How sad......

Since the new board has come up, the traffic is way down. I would suggest it is the format and layout of the Board that contributes to this. I used to look at the Board everyday and could scan a list of posts and you can't do that now.

As Jerry would say about Nye...."would someone cover that up with a little sand".. ...quip he borrowed from Jethro Burns....

Loving and missing Chet and Jerry and Merle and praying for Paul...hang in there great man!
dgallent

Postby BillB » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:02 pm

Hey Don,

One thing that has been mentioned, and you may already know about, is the line of links on the Board Index page that make it much easier to navigate thru the most recent posts. This is how I look at the Chetboard as it is now. If you are on the Board Index page, these links are right above the list of topics, such as Announcements, etc., and it looks like this:

* View unanswered posts • View unread posts • View new posts • View active topics

Anyway, I generally click on the "View new posts" which takes me right to the latest topics. Sometimes I'll "View active topics" if I haven't been on the Chetboard in a few days, but the "View new posts" links usually takes care of it. I find that I can look at the Chetboard much easier that on the old format where I had to scroll down through the whole page to see what I'd missed. The old Chetboard had it's simplicity, which is what I think a lot of folks miss. But Tom worked real hard on getting the new version going so that we can keep up with the rest of the world. The younger generation is accustomed to this type of layout, and they can navigate quickly with their knowledge.

I'm starting to notice a little more traffic now, and I think that folks are starting to come back to the Chetboard. There are certainly a good number of folks that are at least coming here and viewing the posts. I'm not worried about the future of Chet's legacy. It's too big to go unnoticed as future guitarists come along. We just need to keep a good attitude around here so that we don't scare them off when they stop by to visit.

Bill B.
BillB

Postby Mike Nye » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:02 pm

Jack Baker wrote:Howdy All,
I really don't think that the drop off in attendance is due to the design of Tom's new Chetboard. The design of Tom's new Chetboard is beautiful and very easy to navigate with just a little effort on our parts--a very small difference and better in many respects, I feel.

Interest in any website like this one peaks and then subsides and then peaks again. As far as interest in Chet, We are all getting older and interests change but there will always be a place in our hearts for Chet, Jerry and Merle etc.

I do hate to see these dogfights, and I would know :-) :roll: --they really add nothing to this board and are really about nothing important...yer bud in Chet...Jack

Point well spoken Jack . . .

I'm certain the MAIN REASON that some here have such a dislike of the NEW board is that they haven't configured it AWAY FROM it's DEFAULT SETTINGS to make it MUCH EASIER to use by:

1. Clicking on 'USER CONTROL PANEL' immediately under 'Board Index' at the UPPER LEFT of this page under Chet's right.

2. Click on the 'BOARD PREFERENCES' tab at the TOP of the panel.

3. Then click on the 'EDIT DISPLAY OPTIONS' tab at the LEFT of the panel.

4. Go to 'DISPLAY TOPIC ORDER DIRECTION,' (8 from the top) and change the default setting from 'Ascending' to 'DESCENDING.'

5. Click 'SUBMIT' at the bottom of the panel to save the change.

DONE ! ! !

This way NEW MESSAGES are displayed FIRST UP at the TOP of the list when the page is opened, instead of having to scroll all the way to the BOTTOM END to read the NEWEST message. I'd DISLIKE that myself ! ! !

It'll take a week or so to get used to it. Then you'll forget about the OLD when you get used to the NEW, especially when it's NOT such a PITA to use.

Hope this helps,
Mike
Last edited by Mike Nye on Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
If BRUTE-FORCE isn't working, you're not using enough ! ! !
Mike Nye

Postby guitarchuck » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:04 pm

Statistics
Total posts 3943 • Total topics 662 • Total members 548 •

I think we still have some interest here. These statistics don't even include the folks that just visit and never join or post. I remember sometimes the old board would go for time periods without anyone posting. Paul has answered about every question that has been ever thought of about Chet, and we are all really glad that he has. This is still a great resource for Chet Atkins fans and I think it will continue to be.

There's several of us here that have been around since this forum was first called the "Fretboard". We've seen a lot of changes, upset people, people come and go. I'm sure we will see more in the future. It's still my favorite place to visit on the internet. I'm here reading nearly every day.

I go through spells, sometimes I post a lot, sometimes I just read. I would be better off if I spent more time practicing guitar and less time on the internet!
guitarchuck

Postby Billy Anderson » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:28 pm

I'm not sure but I don't think Paul has ever told us what Chet's favorite string was. I'm sort of partial to the G string myself (the burleyque string) but that's probably the "dirty old man" in me. Back to your corners, gentlemen! :)

Don't mean to be a W/A but the :evil: made me do it!
Last edited by Billy Anderson on Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Billy Anderson

Postby Paul Yandell » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:20 pm

Well I don't see alot to comment on I've about said everything about everything also as I said I'm not feeling very well now days so it's hard to get stay up with everything, I'm thankful of all of my friends that email and call me to see how I'm getting along I wanted to say depending of how I'm feeling I may not spend much time at CAAS this year but I wil try, thanks guys paul
Paul Yandell

Postby Mike Nye » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:45 pm

Hi Paul,

I started this thread to drop a hint that we all missed your and Al's presence here.

We're all sorry to hear that you're not feeling well, but for what it's worth, we hope that things rapidly improve with your health.

Best always,
Mike
If BRUTE-FORCE isn't working, you're not using enough ! ! !
Mike Nye

Previous

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins