Freddy's Chet Page RIP

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Re: Freddy's Chet Page RIP

Postby thenorm » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:35 pm

ASCAP/BMI are corporations, sure but right now they're the only game in town for the writers. They're the ones who pay out the mechanical royalties. The record companies are supposed to pay royalties for unit sales.

I'm curious about this:

"...isn't about to just look the other way while JQP (John Q. Public) grabbs a handful of what belongs to them for FREE ..."

So, (and correct me if I'm wrong) the implication here is that if JQP can get it for free he should because he's entitled to it.

Or is it that the corporations should let Some get it for free (meaning you) and not the others. Not sure how you suggest Things Should Work.

Kinda like if the pretty girl winks at you she's a sweetie. If she ignores you for some other guy she's a tramp.

Having said that I'll admit to sniping a little here and there but I do feel a little guilty about it but I do it anyway. And I did like Freddie's site when it worked and was bug-free. I'll admit to using Freddies site to load Standard Brands because the LP's were too damn expensive on Ebay. You want to talk about greed...

The music industry just has to find a way to update itself so the pay gets more equitably distributed. This may never happen because Old Ways are hard to change. The Old Way is bloated and ya gotta remember this internet stuff with all the hit and run cyber-theivery afoot is a new thing.

p.s.
There is a lot of stuff on YouTube you can download (which is illegal) and we do it all the time. And we post copyrighted material here all the time so the copyright monsters obviously can't be everywhere at once. And wasn't Freddie getting donations? Or maybe even ads? It had been a while since I last looked. If he had, he was taking money for other people's works. True it was supposed to be for expenses but we don't know how much he got from it.
thenorm

Postby Mike Nye » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:01 pm

thenorm wrote:ASCAP/BMI are corporations, sure but right now they're the only game in town for the writers. They're the ones who pay out the mechanical royalties. The record companies are supposed to pay royalties for unit sales.

I'm curious about this:

"...isn't about to just look the other way while JQP (John Q. Public) grabbs a handful of what belongs to them for FREE ..."

So, (and correct me if I'm wrong) the implication here is that if JQP can get it for free he should because he's entitled to it.

Or is it that the corporations should let Some get it for free (meaning you) and not the others. Not sure how you suggest Things Should Work.

Kinda like if the pretty girl winks at you she's a sweetie. If she ignores you for some other guy she's a tramp.

Having said that I'll admit to sniping a little here and there but I do feel a little guilty about it but I do it anyway. And I did like Freddie's site when it worked and was bug-free. I'll admit to using Freddies site to load Standard Brands because the LP's were too damn expensive on Ebay. You want to talk about greed...

The music industry just has to find a way to update itself so the pay gets more equitably distributed. This may never happen because Old Ways are hard to change. The Old Way is bloated and ya gotta remember this internet stuff with all the hit and run cyber-theivery afoot is a new thing.

p.s.
There is a lot of stuff on YouTube you can download (which is illegal) and we do it all the time. And we post copyrighted material here all the time so the copyright monsters obviously can't be everywhere at once. And wasn't Freddie getting donations? Or maybe even ads? It had been a while since I last looked. If he had, he was taking money for other people's works. True it was supposed to be for expenses but we don't know how much he got from it.

Ya know, YOU keep putting words in my mouth : -(~

WHAT I did say is that they're protecting what's theirs . . .

There are some companies that actually give FREE SAMPLES to get YOU to buy what they have to sell. . . Just go to Costco ANY weekend, and watch Ma 'n Pa Kettle make da round 'e round of da food samples at the end of da isles three or four times and call it LUNCH and/or DINNER ! ! !

MORAL of story . . . If ya can't afford a BUCK a SONG, then learn howta HUM and/or WHISTLE ! ! !
If BRUTE-FORCE isn't working, you're not using enough ! ! !
Mike Nye

Postby thenorm » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:21 pm

Now, now, I was just making discussion...

Y'know, things can get taken out of context really, really, easily in a chatboard and sometimes things aren't as clearly stated in writing as one thinks they might be. When people are sitting around a table talking, ideas and opinions go by more quickly. Not so on a chatboard. And, I'm sorry, but sometimes someone's written point (even mine) may be hard to grasp.

So ya ask.

Wasn't looking to jerk anyone around but the subject has no easy answers, that's all...

This topic gets beat to death at least twice a year.
thenorm

Postby Mike Nye » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:11 pm

I remember about 25 years ago ASCAP had sent rats out 'n about, going into retail businesses and restaurants, looking for music being played via public broadcast radio and/or pre-recorded non royalty-metered sources. If the business suscribed to Muzak, they turned around and immediately walked out before they were even spotted.

Attempting to collect ALL that one is due these days is a fruitless proposition due to digital technology, as technically, when one buys a download from whatever online source, they're licensed to possess that media on the drive of ANY device that's legally registered to them. If an individual ownes 100 iPods, 300 iPhones and 500 Laptop PCs, they may LEGALLY retain and play that program material on ALL those devices in ANY public setting such as at a park, bus stop or walking down the street as long as it's NOT played within a business. There is a seperate license for that use, metered on a per song basis . . . Go figure . . .
Last edited by Mike Nye on Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Nye

Postby Vidar Lund » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:29 pm

"All those albums people say you can buy on Amazon are either the same ones thast have been out for years". That may be because there´s a limitid supply of Chet´s recordings for natural reasons. It´s impossible to "invent " new recordings by Chet or other artists that passed away years ago. Maybe some unreleased recordings are resting in recording company vaults somewhere, but that may be because Chet didn´t want to release them because of quality issues. The Chet and The Carter Family recordings are radio programs transferred to CD, and the "Chet Atkins - The Early Years" 5-CD compilations and similar releases are relatively new issues including many recordings not released on LP or CD previously. I´m afraid the "Solo Sessions" CD may be the last "new" Chet studio album. I really don´t think that´s so bad.
Vidar Lund

Postby Ray Bohlken » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:45 pm

I have all of Chet's LPs and the CDs that are not compilations of previous releases. Even so,I used to go to Freddy's and listen to a song when I was attempting to work something out. I used to try to do it for Chet's songs and the Ventures, too. It was kind of convenient. I'm sorry to see it go. I just checked with Daffy Doug's Youtube channel, since he had posted a lot of Chet's songs there and there's a note saying he is taking that channel down due to the lawyers. I can understand why, but I sure will miss the content on both sites. Now I'll have to get out the LP, turn on the stereo and turntable, and return to those days of yore when I wore out the grooves on an LP trying to figure out a lick. :D - or is that 8-) ?
Ray
Ray Bohlken

Postby Vidar Lund » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:07 pm

"Now I'll have to get out the LP, turn on the stereo and turntable, and return to those days of yore when I wore out the grooves on an LP trying to figure out a lick". Is that any worse than turning on the PC, wait for it to get alive, open the internet program, find Freddie´s and hope it will work, and then finally and hopefully, be able to listen to Chet´s music? Come on Ray, doesn´t that really bring you back to the good old days when we were young aspiring guitar pickers looking ahead to learn new licks?
Vidar Lund

Postby Mike Nye » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:20 pm

Record companies as we've known them are on the Endangered Species List.

More and more artists are NOW selling their talent directly online via download.

Record companies are a 'Whore for a Buck.' If there's MONEY to be made -they're all over it like a CHEAP SUIT ! ! !

WE have to start being HONEST with ourselves . . . Chet Atkins is no longer with us, unable to continue to share his talent with the world any longer in the form of NEW material. With that being said, his talent as an instrumentalist also limits his exposure to NEW audiences, thus limiting further potential sales of his works.

If he were a singer like Sinatra, or a schmoosie instrumentalist like Kenny G, his legacy might have continued on as a HIGH PROFILE ARTIST posthumously.

Let's face it, 'Yakety Axe' ain't ever gonna get Mary-Lou inda back seat udda Chevy . . .

We're 'in the know' about Chet Atkins, so WE'RE the BEST SOURCE for keeping his legacy alive for future generations until his artistry is finally re-discovered as were other artist long since past such as Rembrant, Van Gogh and others of that caliber long after their deaths.
Last edited by Mike Nye on Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mike Nye

Postby Mike Nye » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:31 pm

Vidar Lund wrote:"Now I'll have to get out the LP, turn on the stereo and turntable, and return to those days of yore when I wore out the grooves on an LP trying to figure out a lick". Is that any worse than turning on the PC, wait for it to get alive, open the internet program, find Freddie´s and hope it will work, and then finally and hopefully, be able to listen to Chet´s music? Come on Ray, doesn´t that really bring you back to the good old days when we were young aspiring guitar pickers looking ahead to learn new licks?

Well . . . YES . . .

If you're turning on your computer to get online to do ANYTHING these days ! ! !

There's now software that lets you slooo songs waaay down to figure out licks without changing key, so WHY would ANYONE wanna wear out their precious vinyl that way ? ? ?
Mike Nye

Postby thenorm » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:48 pm

Let's face it, 'Yakety Axe' ain't ever gonna get Mary-Lou inda back seat udda Chevy . . ."

I can remember a certain redheaded lady and I wearing nothing but two sets of headphones listening to the "In Hollywood" album as we . um.. "exercised". Got a little tangled in the wires but we worked our way around it.

Yacketey Axe? It's a wonder Mary-Lou even got in your car...
thenorm

PreviousNext

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins