Freddy's Chet Page RIP

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Freddy's Chet Page RIP

Postby Tom Keller » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:54 pm

I most certainly took Freddy's Chet page for granted. I had not visited the site in some time. To my suprise the site only offers like 30 second clips of a tune. It was a wonderful resource and I most certainly will miss it.
Tom Keller

Re: Freddy's Chet Page RIP

Postby Mike Nye » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:36 am

Freddie was attacked by Copyright Monsters ! ! !
If BRUTE-FORCE isn't working, you're not using enough ! ! !
Mike Nye

Postby Eddie Estes » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:48 am

What gets me about this and I know there will be somebody on here to disagree but here we go.

The record companies that have Chet's recordings don't give a crap about them enough
to release them beyond the 40th greatest hits compilation that is exactly like the the 39th
one. But as soon as somebody does something like Freddie and makes it so you can hear them
THEN all of a sudden you are stealing from them and taking money away from them.

YOU WERE NOT RELEASING THEM ANYWAY!!!!! How are you losing money.
Chet's legacy is being hidden because you will not release his music.
With Itunes and other digital delivery there is NO excuse for Chet and Jerry
and really all recorded music to be available to purchase and hear.

If they make it available the record company wins, Chet's family wins and we win.

I have no sympathy for these record companies that sit on catalogs of music
and just let them be forgotten. I hope somebody like Freddie tries again.
Eddie Estes

Postby RandeDager » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:19 am

Eddie, I'm certainly not one of the ones on here that you predicted would disagree with you! Your logic is right on.
It's a numbers game and on an international (or even national) scale, Chet fans are a pretty small minority. It upsets
me too!
Rande
RandeDager

Postby Vidar Lund » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:09 am

Amazon´s Chet Atkins Store contains 136 albums plus DVDs and other stuff.
http://www.amazon.com/Chet-Atkins/e/B00 ... sr=1-2-ent
Vidar Lund

Postby Mike Nye » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:49 pm

This footnote, printed in red, at the bottom of each album's page pretty much sums it up . . .

"NB: short sound clips are for getting information about artists and their music, in order to get more - please buy CDs or MP3 files from on-line stores."

Corporations are looking under every rock to squeeze every last buck out of whomever they can squeeze. They're NOT happy unless they have ALL there is to have ! ! !

Let's face it, CEOs & their shareholders can't be doing without. You don't think for one minute that two-percenters doubled their reported net wealth from $20 to $40 Trillion since 1987 by looking the other way do ya ? ? ?
Mike Nye

Postby Randy Finney » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:59 pm

Randy Finney

Postby thenorm » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:57 pm

the songwriters want to be paid too

and if it were your song that You wrote you'd want to be paid also.

It isn't so much the eeeeeeeeevil corporations as much as it is ASCAP and BMI etc and the publishers the songs are placed with by the authors so they can get paid.

Where record companies and corproations become evil is how they try to cook the books so they don't have to pay the songwriter as much as they should but that's another matter that us non songwriters know little about.

Perhaps there could be a more equitable way to resolve this but so far no one has come up with a suggestion.

There has to be a better reason other than you don't feel you should have to pay for it.

The "you" is not aimed at any specific poster. It is the general public who think they should be able to get everything for free. Paricularly music because it really has no physical matter to it. You can't hold a song in your hand. You can hold the sheet music, tape or CD but the song itslef is an audio illusion.

As far as companies not releasing all of Chet's albums you have to realize that for the CD's to be made for sale everybody, from actual CD maker to cover designer to songwriter gets paid up front. This means the companies have to gamble that they can sell enough product to at least make their nut and just because it has Chet's name on it is no guarantee of sales.

It's business. Some of Chet's original albums sold well, some did not. Nobody is always a good seller except maybe Elvis and the Beatles.

I wish Freddies site was up and running too. It was a great resource. I don't disagree one whit there.

There just needs to be Different Way Of Doing Things so everyone can get paid. The answer is some kind of subscription probably but they don't have the bugs (or the bucks) worked out yet.

But trust me, they're looking to find a way.
thenorm

Postby Mike Nye » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:01 pm

thenorm wrote:the songwriters want to be paid too

and if it were your song that You wrote you'd want to be paid also.

It isn't so much the eeeeeeeeevil corporations as much as it is ASCAP and BMI etc and the publishers the songs are placed with by the authors so they can get paid.

Where record companies and corproations become evil is how they try to cook the books so they don't have to pay the songwriter as much as they should but that's another matter that us non songwriters know little about.

Perhaps there could be a more equitable way to resolve this but so far no one has come up with a suggestion.

There has to be a better reason other than you don't feel you should have to pay for it.

The "you" is not aimed at any specific poster. It is the general public who think they should be able to get everything for free. Paricularly music because it really has no physical matter to it. You can't hold a song in your hand. You can hold the sheet music, tape or CD but the song itslef is an audio illusion.

As far as companies not releasing all of Chet's albums you have to realize that for the CD's to be made for sale everybody, from actual CD maker to cover designer to songwriter gets paid up front. This means the companies have to gamble that they can sell enough product to at least make their nut and just because it has Chet's name on it is no guarantee of sales.

It's business. Some of Chet's original albums sold well, some did not. Nobody is always a good seller except maybe Elvis and the Beatles.

I wish Freddies site was up and running too. It was a great resource. I don't disagree one whit there.

There just needs to be Different Way Of Doing Things so everyone can get paid. The answer is some kind of subscription probably but they don't have the bugs (or the bucks) worked out yet.

But trust me, they're looking to find a way.

NO argument here . . . EVERYBODY wantz ta get paid ! ! !

BTW . . . ASCAP & BMI are corporations . . .

You'll notice that I'd NEVER said ANYTHING about ANYONE NOT being paid for the fruit of their efforts. All I'd said is that BIGG MONEY isn't about to just look the other way while JQP (John Q. Public) grabbs a handful of what belongs to them for FREE ! ! !

That's all folks . . .
Mike Nye

Postby Eddie Estes » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:11 pm

I want Chet's albums out there to buy. I really do.
I want to see it done legit.
All those albums people say you can buy on
Amazon are either the same ones thast have been out for years
or one of the endless greatest hit packages that all have the same tunes.
Put them all on Itunes and I'll buy them.
But if they don't care enough about them then
the record companies need to stop moaning about how
they are losing money when someone fills a need.
If it is THAT important to you(the record companies) release the stuff.
Eddie Estes

Next

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins