Freddy's Chet Page RIP

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Re: Freddy's Chet Page RIP

Postby RandeDager » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:09 am

Hi Jack,

You're welcome. Regarding Mp3's, I was talking about of the original recordings off the record, not converted from Tabledit's sound output.

Rande
Rande
RandeDager

Postby Randy Finney » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:18 am

Jack Baker wrote:Wouldn't most people on this site have all of Chet's work by now, including Mp3s?..Jack

That is just I have been thinking throughout this entire discussion, Jack.

I figured that, as a relative newbie, I was the only one still building my collection. I figured most of you guys bought the albums as they came out! Way better than listening to mp3s anyway.

Collecting mp3s is way over rated. Plus, a thumb drive looks pretty crappy hanging on your wall whereas, 100 or so albums - covers facing - look awesome.

Randy
Randy Finney

Postby RandeDager » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:48 am

Randy, you're not the only one building your collection. I once owned about everything Chet & Jerry ever put out on vinyl and no longer have any of it. I have a LOT to replace and I've never been able to download anything from Freddie's site.
I've gotten a few mp3's but have a long way to go and not sure where to get the rest, nor am I sure I could afford them.
Rande
RandeDager

Postby Randy Finney » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:17 pm

Well, you will have to come visit me somethime - you only live 6 hours away.

Bring a large capacity hard drive with you as all my files are AIFF - 10 to 12 times the size of mp3s.

Randy
Randy Finney

Postby Mike Nye » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:17 pm

There's software available to RIP CDs and/or LPs and software to also CONVERT virtually ANY audio and/or video format to ANOTHER ! ! !

I share files with 132,000 others, and if I can figure it out ANYONE else can also . . .
If BRUTE-FORCE isn't working, you're not using enough ! ! !
Mike Nye

Postby Randy Finney » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:23 pm

I didn't mean to imply that conversion was an issue - AIFF are easily converted to anything. I was thinking more about sharing quality files with Rande.

Randy
Randy Finney

Postby Mike Nye » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:10 pm

Randy Finney wrote:I didn't mean to imply that conversion was an issue - AIFF are easily converted to anything. I was thinking more about sharing quality files with Rande.

Randy

SHARE AWAY ! ! !
Mike Nye

Postby keener » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:47 pm

Not ever having visited Freddy's page, I have avoided saying anything about this topic until now. I am really bothered by the suggestions to "share music with one another" in ways that prevent the artists (and/or their families) from receiving payment for their music. I'm not lily white, and have done this before, too, on a very limited basis. But I don't think it's right. There are too many artists, many of them who regularly visit this Board, trying to eek out a living in this digital world and just barely getting by.

I'm sure I'll have lots of rocks thrown at me because of this, but this topic is just really pissing me off. If Chet were alive today, I doubt that he'd be very pleased with what he would read in this thread.
keener

Postby Randy Finney » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:11 pm

I'd like to throw a flower at you, Bruce, because you are absolutely right.

I never share music or transcriptions via email, torrents, etc., for the reasons you state. If somebody is over at my place and is an active buying collector - as I am - I will share hard to find things if I have them and he doesn't.

I offered to share stuff Rande in person because, I think he has, in fact, paid for most it at some point in his life and now doesn't have it for whatever reason.

RandeDager wrote:I once owned about everything Chet & Jerry ever put out on vinyl and no longer have any of it.

Randy
P.S. You didn't miss much on Freddie's Page. The quality of the recordings/streaming were among the worst I've heard. I personally don't think the record companies, Chet's Estate, or anyone directly associated with it had anything to do with Freddie's full streaming demise. I believe it was his advertisers, and revenue there from potentially no longer being there, that was the motivation.
Randy Finney

Postby Mike Nye » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:34 am

If you recall, I didn't become involved in this thread until it was mentioned that participants here were seeking recordings which were no longer available in print. All of a sudden the discussion (if ya wanna call it that) has migrated to the selective sharing of such material being labaled as mass-fraud ! ! !

So, HOW is a record label gonna prosecute anyone who selectively shares material, NOT avaiable by THEM for sale, among a very minute few ? ? ?

Like I'd said before regarding currently published program content: "If ya can't afford a buck a song, then learn ta whistle or hum ! ! !"

BTW: There was comment made here by someone as to Chet being disappointed with this discussion. The only thing that I think would disappoint him would be what a Waffle House this forum, bearing his name, has turned into.

Nuff said . . .
Mike Nye

PreviousNext

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins