Freddy's Chet Page RIP

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Re: Freddy's Chet Page RIP

Postby Ray Bohlken » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:17 pm

Actually, Mike and Vidar, now that y'all mention it, I would probably copy the song I want from the turntable to my hard drive and use the slow down software to work with it. That would save the LP for a time when I just want to kick back and listen - which I still do right often. It is still kind of fun to work something out like that from time to time.
Ray
Ray Bohlken

Postby Vidar Lund » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:26 pm

Ray and Mike, I used to record the songs from the record to my open reel tape recorder at high speed, 15 ips, and reduce the speed to 7 1/2 and 3 3/4 ips to get that effect. I also made genuine reel echo with my machine and made sound-on-sound stereo recordings. I learned a lot about sound that way.
Vidar Lund

Postby Mike Nye » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:51 pm

Vidar Lund wrote:Ray and Mike, I used to record the songs from the record to my open reel tape recorder at high speed, 15 ips, and reduce the speed to 7 1/2 and 3 3/4 ips to get that effect. I also made genuine reel echo with my machine and made sound-on-sound stereo recordings. I learned a lot about sound that way.

Your method is all well and fine, but it still changes the key (Pitch) in an analog recording.

In a digital recording, ONLY the TIME DURATION (Smear) is altered, and the frequecy (Pitch) remains un-changed due to it's fixed sampling rate . . .
If BRUTE-FORCE isn't working, you're not using enough ! ! !
Mike Nye

Postby Eddie Estes » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:59 pm

That may be because there´s a limitid supply of Chet´s recordings for natural reasons. It´s impossible to "invent " new recordings by Chet or other artists that passed away years ago.

Now you know that is not what I am talking about. Do you have any idea of the number of Chet's recordings that have not been released on CD. Most of his 1960s and 70s recordings as a whole cannot be bought in any form.

A couple of highlights.
And Then Came Chet Atkins.
Progressive Pickin'
Class Guitar
Chet Atkins Picks On Jerry Reed(the complete album)
and many more

Jerry Reed
The Unbelievable Guitar and Voice
Nashville Underground
Both Barrels.
Sings Jim Croce
Dixie Dreams
Mind Your Love

With Itunes and digital delivery the release of Chet and Jerry's albums would be far less expensive
than having to press records or stamp CDs.
Eddie Estes

Postby Mike Nye » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:13 pm

There's a VERY SIMPLE SOLUTION here . . .

If you DON'T presently have a turntable and vinyl ripping software, you can buy it ALL at Costco for about $75.00.

Rip your vinyl, and give (NOT sell, as that's illegal) it to fellow CB members on a DONATION basis to cover your time & costs . . .
Last edited by Mike Nye on Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Nye

Postby Vidar Lund » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:51 am

Mike, when reducing the speed more than by half (15 to 7 1/2 or 7 1/2 to 3 3/4 ips) it sounded more like a bass drum than a guitar. It is much more fun to do it the Les Paul way, recording at low speed and play it at high speed. If well done it would sound really impressive, even though it´s cheating!
Vidar Lund

Postby Mike Nye » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:08 am

Vidar Lund wrote:Mike, when reducing the speed more than by half (15 to 7 1/2 or 7 1/2 to 3 3/4 ips) it sounded more like a bass drum than a guitar. It is much more fun to do it the Les Paul way, recording at low speed and play it at high speed. If well done it would sound really impressive, even though it´s cheating!

That's fine for a recording effect, but slowing a lick waaay down at the correct pitch is waaaaaaay bettah ! ! !
Mike Nye

Postby PhilHunt » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:17 am

I really enjoyed Freddy's page, but towards the end I couldn't get into the webpage. I can see how BMG/CBS or whoever put the Kibosh on the whole thing....it's all about money. Chet's estate and family deserve every penny I agree. But as far as BMG/CBS/SONY they are greedy, there's no doubt about that. They can release the stuff if they really wanted to. I wanna know what's taking Bear Family so long to finish Chet's legacy with another cd-box set. My thought is this: cd's are on their way out just like LP's. Hell, most of the stuff nowadays doesn't even make it to cd form....it goes straight to itunes for music download and the artist and the record company get their cut each time a song or complete album is downloaded.
The One-Way company had a good thing going with their two-fer cd's....it's shame they didn't keep them coming.
PhilHunt

Postby Randy Finney » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:58 am

In the independent music scene, often the canary in the cave - i.e. they moved to downloading years before anyone else - even downloading is on its way to becoming obsolete. Streaming is now the future.

I have friend who has been involved in independent music for many years. Each month, he used to make most his money from downloads and a little from streaming. This it is now even and, for some months, the other way around.

There will always be companies - Naxos, Mobile Fidelity - who license and/or purchase music to remaster, not for pure temporary consumption but, for the discriminating listener and release it in an audiophile worthy format (which both downloading and streaming definitely are not).

This will eventually happen with Chet's stuff. Classic Records released "In Hollywood" on 200 Gram Vinyl. JVC released "In Hollywood" on 20-bit XRCD2 CD.

I am not saying it will happen any time soon, or very quickly once it does start to happen - there is still a small portion of Frank Sinatra's catalogue that has yet to be remastered and he still out sells many current Grammy winners! - but, it will happen. Once the planets line up - cost of licensing + cost of manufacturing/distributing < expected sales (due a resurgence in interest that we are all helping to foster, right?).

Randy
Randy Finney

Postby JohnBinns » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:02 pm

When Freddy's was an open site, one could easily stream and capture his library with the appropriate hardware/software. He was just begging to be a target for copyright control.

The copyright police won't even let me openly BUY an MP3 download from Amazon.com, simply because I live in Canada (and I can see Niagara Falls NY from my rooftop).
JohnBinns

PreviousNext

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins