COLLECTION FOR SALE

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Re: COLLECTION FOR SALE

Postby Huntin Boots » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:10 pm

Is this collection owned by long time CAAS member Stan Surman? Did he pass away? Steve Ledford
Huntin Boots

Postby keener » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:59 pm

Well it's hypocritical of me to say this, because I have guitars I haven't played in over a year, but it would be nice (idealistically) if these could wind up in hands that would play them. I guess that's more of an artist's view than a collector's view, and an impractical view, too, no doubt.

Regardless, I wish you the very best in transferring the collection to someone who will treasure every guitar.
keener

Postby thenorm » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:48 pm

"premature assumption" regarding Chet signed items is an easy state to be in when the list is presented with specific notification tha certain models are Chet signed. I may be off base but I just took it to imply you expected more money for signed items.

Wel, no matter. I'm not moneyed enough to even think of buying such a batch.

The Eddie Cochran model is, I think, a "custom shop" model. Guitar companies rountinely make "special" limited runs to deliberately inflate the price on certain units. They recently did a similar thing by replicating a George Harrison model.

I don't understand what that has to do with your group of guitars which, as far as the gretsch models are concerned seem to be off-the-rack guitars.

All of us have thoughts on how we might try to sell such a lot if we were to have such a list to sell but you have chosen yours. I will say it is definitely an impressive list!

Good luck to you.
thenorm

Postby guitarchuck » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:42 pm

Stan,
Let us know how you end up selling your collection. If they do end up at a music store or auction, some folks here on the Chetboard might be interested in purchasing individual guitars.

Norm, if I had a guitar for sell that Chet signed, I would for sure put that in the listing. We all know that Chet was nice to fans and signed his name a lot. Still yet, to most fans, Chet's signature is a selling point. Does it make it worth a lot more? No, but it is a nice bonus and selling point. On the "off the rack guitars", Sure, some of his newer guitars can be purchased new down at your local Gretsch dealer, but he has several very valuable vintage Gretsch guitars in that listing. Yes, I'm sure Gretsch over-inflated the custom shop Eddie Cochran model, but they do it because someone will buy it. Stan has several guitars on that list that are very valuable besides the Gretsch guitars. Stan has made wise investments in these guitars if he bought them right. I heard George Gruhn say once that vintage guitars have always out-performed the stock market.
guitarchuck

Postby thenorm » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:00 pm

Good points, Chuck. I'm just one of those people not too excited about vintage guitars except things like D'Angelicos or carved top instruments. I have a "vintage" single cut country gent (1961) but I wish it was a 6122-59 but at this stage of my life I can't justify the cost. So when I look at it I don't see "vintage". I see good guitar that plays well and sounds good and happens to be the only electric I have.

I didnt' mean to offend anyone and i apologize if I did. We all have differeing opinions on what bestows value to things like guitars. To me they're tools and I have a limited tool budget.

To other folks they're investments.
thenorm

Postby guitarchuck » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:38 pm

Norm,
If I had money I would "invest" in guitars. A lot more fun than most other investments. Wonderful tools, nice to play, listen to & look at! Your old 61 CG is probably worth more now than you realize. You could sell it, buy a new G6122-1959 & have money left over. All in what a person likes & wants I guess. I like vintage guitars, but with limited funds I would rather own a few different good modern guitars that sound & play great instead. We all have our opinions here and we are all different, but that's why there's so many different guitars I suppose.
guitarchuck

Postby thenorm » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:26 pm

The thing about 'guitars as investments' is this.

The ones that giet the top dollar prices are the "vintage" guitars that are virtuually original mint condition guitars with all original parts and case. My guitar was used when i got it and had had some modifications done to it that would have 'devalued ' it as a top dollar item. The previous owner had drilled a hole in the top to accomodate a switch for out of phase. I put a stationary bracket and Chet handle on it and have since lost the original handle and it has been a well played guitar. While it's not beat up it does show the signs of being played. I installed pickups so it is like the 6122-59 sound wise and am fairly content with that but I know the nicks and small scars on this guitar keeps it out of the high value vintage range.

Kinda like me :)
Last edited by thenorm on Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thenorm

Postby guitarchuck » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:01 pm

Norm,
I sold a 1960 CG that had a extra hole drilled in the top, some finish worn off the back of the neck, a repro bridge, a few nicks & dings for $3400 about 10 years ago. I sold another 60 model that was in very good to excellent condition for $3800 about 8 years ago. That's 2 guitars that I didn't make any money on. If I had hung on to them I think they would go for a lot more now. Look at the crazy "asking" prices of these so-called excellent-mint condition vintage CG's:

http://www.gbase.com/stores/gear/gearlist.aspx?gs=y&fy=1957&ly=1961&keyword=country+gentleman
guitarchuck

Postby pattie surman » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:12 pm

Thank you Norm. I'm not offended. Like everyone on this Chet board I have a love for Chet that started for me at the age of twelve. That is why we try so hard to learn and play his music and play his choice of guitars. Chet Atkins was a gift from God , and those of us who saw him play are truly fortunate. I never amassed these guitars with the thought of investment.It was purely ,If Chet had a new guitar, I had to have it. Not being wealthy,it took some doing and most importantly having a loving and understanding wife helped. I have sold a number of pieces from my collection but soon realized not only did I not have the guitar but the money seamed to disappear,car repair, new roof, operation for the dog.Therefore I have decided to only sell the whole collection so when I'm gone my wife will be ok.Pattie thinks Im crazy for selling now that I'm retired and have the time to enjoy them. Ihope Ihave answered some questions.Thanks for your work on the board. Stan.
pattie surman

Postby guitarchuck » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:34 pm

Stan,
I just looked at my list of guitars that I have owned. I counted 40 Chet Atkins models that I've owned in the past, if you can count the Del Vecchios & Hascal Haile. I had intentions of keeping most of them when I made the purchase, but something would always come up and I would end up selling them. Like you said, then the money would be gone & so would the guitars. I haven't done as well as you have done to hang on to them as you have Stan. I only have 3 of my 40 that I've had over the years. I even tried to sell one of the three a few weeks ago! When I buy a guitar it's always in the back of my mind "If I ever need the money I can always sell it" I've made money on some & lost money on some, but I always truly enjoy owning Chet Atkins model guitars. I do like to buy sell & trade guitars, but deep down I really miss the Chet models when I part with them. Another thing that I've done over the years: I've sold guitars to justify buying another guitar that I really wanted at the time. I guess they don't call me"guitarchuck" for nothing. LOL
guitarchuck

PreviousNext

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins