In Hollywood Revisited

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

In Hollywood Revisited

Postby JohnBinns » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:42 pm

I've viewed various Chet discographies from members of this board reflecting their personal collections and I have also seen web and magazine based Chet discographies but none seem to reflect "In Hollywood" being two differing releases (1959 and 1961). I would have thought that the changes Chet made in the revised 61 version tracks would have merited a separate disc entry in his release listings as, to me, they represent some "new material".

And please correct me if I am wrong but the first track "Armen's Theme" was an additional track to the '61 release, not found on the original version?
JohnBinns

Re: In Hollywood Revisited

Postby Ray Bohlken » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:50 am

Hi. I did a search on the Chet Board for the term "Hollywood" and found a link to a previous discussion about the album. In addition, if you join the Chet Atkins Appreciation Society, the last issue was almost entirely about the making of this album, with lots of great research done, some excellent interviews, and a great tab. I checked on the albums I have - one with the Country Gentleman and Hollywood in the background and one with the blonde on the cover and they both have Armen's Theme as the first song. I hope this helps.
Ray

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=152&p=810&hilit=Hollywood#p806
Ray Bohlken

Postby JohnBinns » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:42 pm

Thanks for the track information. I would love to have read that issue explaining more of the history of the album(s).
JohnBinns

Postby Ray Bohlken » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:10 pm

You may be able to buy a back issued of the Mister Guitar Magazine and just purchase issue # 74 with out joining the C.A.A.S. I think the membership is worth it, since it allows you to attend the convention each year and each issue of the magazine has excellent articles, reviews of CDs that have come out, and some great tab of Chet's arrangements. Here is a link to the society. There's an email address you could contact Dr. Pritcher and ask about just purchasing the back issue. It's one of the most interesting array of articles ever and there is a great tab of Chet's version of "Let It Be Me" from the album.
Ray

http://www.chetsociety.com/index.html
Ray Bohlken

Postby JohnBinns » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:19 pm

So, after giving both versions another listen, the Canadian pressings from Montreal were produced as expected. The Night Scene 59 contains the Nashville revision while the Girl Cover 61RE contains the California studio version on BOTH SIDES. Apparently some 61 versions and reissues mixed the two.

I did have, for a few days, the Mobile Fidelity CD disc set from 1989 but when I opened the two disc set, it had two disc 1's, so I returned it, only to be told that the release was no longer available.

So, getting back to my original post, I do believe that despite it being a result of a mistake, the two versions do contain "new material" and deserve separate discography recognition, not simply an RE. I grew up thinking that the California studio version was the ONLY version until I read the Chetboard comments about the Nashville revision copy. Well... :idea:
JohnBinns

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins