Evidence of the Value of a Metronome

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Re: Evidence of the Value of a Metronome

Postby ceciltguitar » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:33 pm

There is also an inexpensive app called "irealb" that is simple to use and very handy.

So how come I have it and have not used it for several years? I used to use it........before I went to this 6 day workweek...

Quick Google search for "irealb".......it looks like there might be an updated version called "iReal Pro"

https://irealpro.com
ceciltguitar

Postby DagerRande » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:50 pm

Palmer, I too "drop" any unwanted instruments from a style that I like. I have a friend who has made 5 CD's with BIAB accompaniment and envious friends of his ask him how he was able to find and pay GOOD musicians what they're worth?
Right now I'm using BIAB to relearn "Old Joe Clark" from the ground up.
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby Ray Bohlken » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:22 pm

[quote="Pickin Palmer"] The only reason I would suggest anybody spend MORE money on the product is if you play "out" with it. Or, record yourself - and, what's the sense of that if you don't play out and need CDs to sell at your gigs?

I have a high school buddy that I get together with once a month or so and we play songs we learned from back then...Ventures, Duane Eddy, String-Alongs, and groups like that, plus some standards. Instrumental songs from my time back there. I make up the BIAB files so that we can play with a "full band" and it makes it more fun when we play. I usually make him a CD of the songs we mess with so he can take it home and play along with that. I have also been asked by a few friends if I had ever made a CD of my playing, so I made one and inflicted it on...er gave it to them. It was fun to do that. I was just curious if anyone had used the REAL BAND stuff and if is was easy to incorporate it.
Ray
Ray Bohlken

Postby Doug Working » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:10 pm

DagerRande wrote:You'll never be satisfied with a basic metronome again. You will also have the benefit of creating a sophisticated "band" behind you that can be as sophisticated as you are able to work with it. There are many features that most owners never take advantage of and in some cases, aren't even aware of!

With that post you now have me chompin' at the bit!
Doug Working

Postby Doug Working » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:26 pm

Ray Bohlken wrote:
Pickin Palmer wrote: The only reason I would suggest anybody spend MORE money on the product is if you play "out" with it. Or, record yourself - and, what's the sense of that if you don't play out and need CDs to sell at your gigs?

I have a high school buddy that I get together with once a month or so and we play songs we learned from back then...Ventures, Duane Eddy, String-Alongs, and groups like that, plus some standards. Instrumental songs from my time back there. I make up the BIAB files so that we can play with a "full band" and it makes it more fun when we play. I usually make him a CD of the songs we mess with so he can take it home and play along with that. I have also been asked by a few friends if I had ever made a CD of my playing, so I made one and inflicted it on...er gave it to them. It was fun to do that. I was just curious if anyone had used the REAL BAND stuff and if is was easy to incorporate it.
Ray

My ambitions are humble. I'd like to make a decent CD to hand out at my church. Perhaps mostly gospel or Christmas tunes, or maybe a combo. Anyway, I would hope that might get me started (should the good LORD show me favor) at getting into the circuit of playing at houses of worship.

I certainly don't ever expect to be famous, because my playing is "somewhere in the middle," but I work hard at improving every day. Maybe some day, as I'm practicing I'll suddenly take a jump or even a quantum leap into higher skill level somewhere up in the stratosphere where the best guys (like Richard!) play. But I'm not holding my breath. Practice is the most practical and real thing I know.

I've arranged a LOT of old gospel standards for my own ears, (Christmas tunes, too,) not to mention that I can play a lot of really pretty classical pieces, and maybe, just maybe the ears of others in God's house would get a blessing out of my playing. If that is how He would choose to use me, I'm a willing vessel.

BIAB would sure it be an indispensable help. (From everything I've learned from you guys.)
Doug Working

Postby DagerRande » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:18 pm

Doug, I wanted to correct what seems like a misperception on your part, as well as on the part of many others. I'm going to paraphrase. You mentioned that your aspirations aren't very high because of your skill level not being what you picture that it should be in order to "deserve" to go far. Yes, those are my words. I think you know by now that there doesn't have to be a direct relationship between a person's level of expertise and how far they go in life. There are plenty of people who don't hold a candle to people like Richard Smith, etc. when it comes to guitar expertise and have gone far. All I can say for fairly certain is that you can't "suck" and go very far but the minimum level of expertise doesn't have to be that high to go much further than he has. There are plenty of other variables that come into play!
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby Doug Working » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:43 pm

Rande, I truly appreciate the sage advice. I'll even say WISDOM of your words! I'll take them to heart, as maybe life is trying to correct me; get my attention. When lady wisdom calls, I need to listen.

I tried something: I got (on my I-pad) a backing track ("For The Good Times.") and this morning I made a simple, primitive set-up with my I-pad resting on my music stand in front of my guitar amp. Then I set my I-phone on record, and played the tune using no chords, only single string notes. I wanted to get a little taste of what BIAB would be like.

Then I listened to my recording and I was blown away! Wow! Having that backing instrumentation made me sound like a pro! And I mean it really sounded good. Or so I thought, so I sent it to my wife for her opinion.

She shocked me when she said "Was that YOU playing?? I thought you had gotten it off Y'tube!

That nails it. I'm definitely getting BIAB someday!
Doug Working

Previous

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins