fingernails again

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

fingernails again

Postby rhirvine » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:06 pm

For months now I have been taking biotin and using M Nail that Rande recommended. I looked at my favorite pickin' fingernail (guitar strings not my nose), the right hand index fingernail and it has a gouge out of it. I realized that it probably came from opening pull tab soft drinks yesterday. Another thing to add to my list. Open those with my left index finger. I refuse to wear gloves all the time. This kind of thing never happened using a church key. Dang me!
rhirvine

Re: fingernails again

Postby Doug Working » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:29 pm

It's frustrating as all get-out, I know, but just hang in there!

A couple days ago, I was unplugging an appliance from an outlet, and I hit the thing just right, (you never see it coming!) and the nail of my index finger bent back a little and left a crease, on the main body of the nail. When the crease gets to the end of the nail and grows out, I see the handwriting on the wall that that nail will be out of commission for a couple weeks while it grows back, because no doubt it will break off at the crease. D'oh!

Like I said, it's frustrating, but what can we do?

Maybe biotin by itself needs certain other nutrients to be taken along with it in order for the body to properly absorb it.
Doug Working

Postby EdNilo » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:10 pm

I've had acrylic nails on 3 fingers of my right hand for about 12 years. I love them.
EdNilo

Postby Ray Bohlken » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:35 am

Rich, I used to take care of my nails with a file and was very careful with my picking hand...guitar, not nose as you clarified. :D I never was able to get close to Chet's sound with those nails and a thumbpick. I finally surrendered and trimmed my nails down all the way and play with a bare thumb. I envy those who can sound similar to Chet and Paul, but I saved myself a lot of time by using a nail clipper and a file and sound somewhat cleaner than I used to. Hope you find a solution that works.
Ray
Ray Bohlken

Postby Doug Working » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:02 pm

That's pretty much what I do. I use the curved end of the nail clipper to trim off the desired amount and make a perfect curved shape, then buff with super fine wet or dry sandpaper that I get at Auto Zone. Works pretty good.

I have heard of using a "glass file" that you can get on Amazon, and they say gives a really nice buff or smoothness to the nail.
Doug Working

Postby Doug Working » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:30 pm

Had never seen these before. I can't vouch whether they are good or bad, as I just now discovered this, however I am open minded: https://www.tiptonic.com/?gclid=EAIaIQo ... gKzMvD_BwE
Doug Working

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins