Tommy's From Another Planet, Too

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Tommy's From Another Planet, Too

Postby Doug Working » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:40 pm

Like Richard, I swear Tommy is from another planet, too. The guy can find chords and harmonies, bass lines, etc., I never dreamed existed.

Here he does a GORGEOUS arrangement of "The Sound Of Music." Those chords are a gift from heaven.

I arranged this tune for my own pleasure in C, because I always thought it was a marvelous melody, and was pretty proud of what I came up with, but after hearing Tommy's arrangement, I'm ready to pack up my guitar for good.

https://youtu.be/xWSKlW7JpsE
Doug Working

Re: Tommy's From Another Planet, Too

Postby Chuck » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:56 am

Doug, totally agree, great arrangement from a great player. I was inspired by that very link you shared, to try my own (albeit simplified) version. I've never heard Tommy play this in concert, and like many of us I have seen him a number of times. Chuck/Cincinnati
Chuck

Postby Doug Working » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:50 pm

I suppose I should be frustrated and just give up because of the fact that I realize that there are people in the world who in a couple years time from first picking up the instrument advance past where I'm at after playing since '68 or '69.

I suppose I should just pack up my instrument in the case, shove it in the back of the closet and say the hell with it. What's the use, anyway?

It would be SO EASY to do. But it would also be the coward's way out. Or the lazy man's way. I don't know.

But the good LORD above would not be pleased with that attitude, so I continue to plug away at it.

But, oh! What I wouldn't give for just ONE DAY of having these guys' chops! What they do on the instrument sometimes seems physically impossible. A superhuman feat. My brain says "No human can play that good!!! This must be an illusion!" (and trust me, I know about illusions!)

Seems I'm always discovering guys (and girls, too,) who can nail Chet's style and licks like reading the Sunday funnies. And I just have to ask my self "How in the world is that possible??"

And sometimes I'll run into someone who doesn't play Chet style, but plays another style, but DANG, they are good! Obvious masters. Like the other day I started clicking on some Ted Greene videos, and man, he made that thing sound like a heavenly harp. https://youtu.be/0olOcmJ0ceg

I had purchased his book "Chord Chemistry" decades ago, and it was all Greek to me. Made me feel retarded. But he obviously had an other worldly grasp on chords and inversions that I will never see in ten lifetimes.

But back to Tommy: Man, that guy makes me feel like he is playing college level, and I am still in kindergarten!!
Last edited by Doug Working on Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doug Working

Postby Doug Working » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:06 pm

By. the way, Chuck, I love your arrangement too!! Very nice!

Maybe I'll post mine on here some day, but I'd never measure up to you guys. You guys eat me for lunch.

Still, I enjoy playing and trying.
Doug Working

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins