Blessed Assurance (jazz feeling)

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Blessed Assurance (jazz feeling)

Postby DagerRande » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:02 am

I'm a big fan of Walter Rodrigues, who inspired this arrangement. I hope you

Last edited by DagerRande on Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Re: Blessed Assurance (jazz feeling)

Postby Roger_Pratt » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:01 am

Great stuff Rande!! Keep up the good work!
Roger_Pratt

Postby rhirvine » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:58 am

Good work Rande! I don't know how you can find those chords and voicings.

Rich
rhirvine

Postby DagerRande » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:58 pm

Rich, sinc e I have spent time with you personally, that means a lot to me. I know that you have a great appreciation for "rich" harmonies! Yes the pun was intended. This comes from years of listening and trial and error.
Rande Dager

DagerRande

Postby Doug Working » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:50 am

Very nice!

My hat is off to you. Well, always is, because you always blow me away with your playing.
Doug Working

Postby DagerRande » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:52 pm

Thank you, Doug. Music, with emphasis on harmony and "transition chords", is my strongest passion. I'm trying to expand public awareness. My personality keeps everything very localized. Technology has made it possible for me to open up a little more while still remaining behind the scenes.
Rande Dager

DagerRande

Postby Doug Working » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:26 am

Concurrence, here.

My mom and dad instilled music roots in me from a VERY early age, so it my PASSION. It was "in me" for as long back as I can remember. And once it's in you, and I mean really, really IN YOU, they couldn't beat it out of you with a ball bat.

I'll have the music in me till the day I die.

Anyway, I always love your playing, and could only hope to do half the things on guitar that you do.

A week or two ago, I had a lifetime dream fulfilled. I got my first sax. I've always wanted to learn, because Boots's records were part of my youth as well as Chet's, Chet's, of course, being the dominant factor.

So anyways, I asked the good LORD for a saxophone, and lo and behold, my wife (we are separated) offered me her daughter's alto sax, since she had given up on learning it. Amazingly, she also gave me back my Yamaha classical guitar. (Not to mention my ventriloquist's figures, and a bunch of magic show illusions, but that's neither here nor there.) We decided to mend our relationship after seven years, so my little trip to Arkansas payed off richly.

Be that as it may, as I was saying, I've dreamed of learning the sax. Those recordings of Chet and Boots playing together really had a profound effect on me!!

Now I have it in my possession, and I'm looking. at all those valves saying "What??????" "How in thee world am I going to EVER figure out how to play this thing??"

But I'm determined. I'm scouring the Internet, digging through Y'tube videos trying to just get a basic, BEGINNER foundational knowledge of what the heck I need to know to get started. Got a thousand questions running through my head.

But I figured out guitar decades ago, (with Chet's help!) so I figure that with persistence, if I knuckle down buckle down and tackle it, I'll eventually get 'er done.

Because the MUSUC IS IN ME!
Doug Working

Postby DagerRande » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:47 am

Doug, I think the trick for every passionate person is to find out HOW to direct that passion. For me it gave me the perseverance to put in all of that time for "trial and error" and taking small steps along the way as the results of my efforts were confirmed. I think you'll do fine, once you know the path you will take toward your goal of playing that sax!
Rande Dager

DagerRande

Postby Doug Working » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:48 pm

Thanks Rande! Words of encouragement much appreciated!

I think my main concern when first learning, being a rank beginner, is to not unknowingly develop bad paying habits. Bad technique can become hard to break once it's inveterate.

I had that problem with guitar. Naturally I taught myself by listening to Chet, but I developed some bad technique habits. So years and years later I decided to take a few lessons from a classical teacher, and he immediately spotted my (by that time ingrained) bad habits, and it was HARD to break them!!

Of course, that's what happens when you teach yourself. You just do the best you can, and you don't know any better.

The BEST THING is to develop good technique from the first time you pick up the instrument, no matter WHAT instrument it is.

Of course, in order to do that, you need the guidance of someone who knows the score.
Doug Working

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins