Inspired by Skippy

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Inspired by Skippy

Postby DagerRande » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:01 am

Skippy Inspired.mp3
(1.76 MiB) Downloaded 337 times

We lost Buster B. Jones on 2-2-09. One of his well known songs was "Skippy". This inspired me to come up with this one. I'll never reach his speed or accuracy but I thought I should try it.
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Re: Inspired by Skippy

Postby rhirvine » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:11 pm

I thought it sounded good. I never heard Buster Jones play it so I'm none the wiser about that.
rhirvine

Postby Roger_Pratt » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:39 pm

Knocked it out of the park Rande!! You don't give yourself enough credit man!!!
Roger_Pratt

Postby Doug Working » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:34 pm

Let me tell ya, Rande, if I ever get 1/10 as good as that, I'll be one happy guitar camper!!

Doug
Doug Working

Postby DagerRande » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:37 pm

Thank you Rich and Roger. Rich, "Skippy" is one of Buster B. Jones 2 most popular songs. His other one is "Wild Turkey" which won him first place at Winfield in about 1990.

Roger, I appreciate that. I know what I can do but I also know that being an entertainer attracts more of a crowd. I'm not one of those. I'm always wishing I could do a set at CAAS and this year with Audie and Eddie was about the closest I've gotten to that. It's still not the same when I know people weren't sitting out there to hear me. I appreciated you trying to get me on stage with them though.

Thanks to you too, Doug. I just saw your post as I was submitting this one. What I did was sort of a right hand practice session.
Rande Dager

DagerRande

Postby Ray Bohlken » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:42 am

Rande, I enjoyed your version of Skippy. Great tone and your playing was excellent.
Ray
Ray Bohlken

Postby DagerRande » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:27 pm

Thanks, Ray. I wasn't really trying to play it as a "cover tune" but only the flavor somewhat. It started out only being a right hand exercise but decided to share what I had been practicing.
Rande Dager

DagerRande

Postby Doug Working » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:59 am

DagerRande wrote:Thank you Rich and Roger. Rich, "Skippy" is one of Buster B. Jones 2 most popular songs. His other one is "Wild Turkey" which won him first place at Winfield in about 1990.

Roger, I appreciate that. I know what I can do but I also know that being an entertainer attracts more of a crowd. I'm not one of those. I'm always wishing I could do a set at CAAS and this year with Audie and Eddie was about the closest I've gotten to that. It's still not the same when I know people weren't sitting out there to hear me. I appreciated you trying to get me on stage with them though.

Thanks to you too, Doug. I just saw your post as I was submitting this one. What I did was sort of a right hand practice session.

Rande, I hope you don't ever underestimate yourself. Promise me you won't? You have great chops. I sincerely meant what I said. I do indeed practice very hard, working scales and other stuff. But I've come to realize that I'm not "a natural." There are probably lots of fabulous licks that I will never master before I die, no matter how hard I try.

But you showed that you can take some obviously very tough licks and pull them off and make them sound easy. I know you must have worked hard, but you're way better than I think I dare ever dream I will be some day. My hat's off to you for some really good pickin'!

Doug
Doug Working

Postby DagerRande » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:52 pm

Doug, I appreciate your assessment of what you heard. I don't actually underestimate myself. What I may underestimate is how I may be estimated by others. I'm not a very good self promoter. At the CAAS convention there are many who are very aggressive at this and they tend to be the ones who everyone sees. There are a few exceptions who have been promoted by others, such as what Paul Yandell did for Audie Wykle, Phil Hunt, and Eddie Estes, but generally most of them are self promoters and that's not easy for me. We don't all have agents. The little that I do online can help to build a foundation for this. There are some who are on stage there, almost totally due to online videos. Time will tell how this all works.
Rande Dager

DagerRande

Postby Doug Working » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:11 am

I hear ya' Rande! I'm a lot like that.

IN my case, I'm a guy of what's called "multi talents." I pick guitar, I perform magic shows and ventriloquism, I sing, I'm an actor in theatre productions, mentalist and mind reading, I'm a vocal impersonator, I draw and paint...you know, jack of all trades master of none type of thing, if you nowhutimeen.

Actually, I kind of think I'm pretty near mastery on the magic show stuff, but my guitar playing has a loooooooooooooong way to go. And I'm acquiesced to the fact that I will never be the next Chet. I'm not guitar superstar material. I just simply love Chet's music and want to at least give it the "old college try." I can't really stop because I've invested so many years of my life in it, and I can't let all those years go to waste.

Anyway, point is, I have to admit I'm a poor self promoter. That is my weak spot. To be truthful, I have actually purchased several courses on the subject (marketing) over the years at a pretty good expense, but the information refuses to "sink in."

Maybe I should just give up my talents and stick to being a paw-paw for my grand kids...I don't know.

But I understand where you're coming from. Aggressive marketing; promotion is where it's at.

On another note, just got back from Memphis a couple days ago. Visited Memphis and Graceland then went to Arkansas to pick up my belongings from my wife of whom I am separated and they were in her storage shed on her property. So besides a beaucoup of magic illusions, she gave me back my treasured old Yamaha classical guitar, AND a saxophone which her daughter was learning but gave up on.

So! I have always long dreamed of learning to play sax, and so now I will begin to learn. Maybe five years from now, I'll be halfway decent on it. Happy day, happy day!
Doug Working

Next

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins