From here to eternity movie

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

From here to eternity movie

Postby rhirvine » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:27 pm

I really enjoyed it especially the first time I watched it and saw that Merle Travis had a small part in it (guitar playing and all). He along with Chet Atkins was one of my early guitar heroes. "Re-inlistment Blues", I always thought that Merle had written it lyrics and all but when I asked Thom Bresh about it several years ago when he performed in Altadena California he said no, a song writing team came up with it. The lyrics sounded so Merle Travis like. Anyway I'm watching it again today and so far haven't gotten to Merle's performance part. But it's coming.
rhirvine

Re: From here to eternity movie

Postby Doug Working » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:46 am

Kind of unrelated, I suppose, but I remember when Chet & Jerry had their brief time on TV. Boy, was I ever excited!!! Please correct me, because it was so long ago, but I think the series was called "Nashville Cats."

Your post kind of brought that back to mind.
Doug Working

Postby Ray Bohlken » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:46 am

I think it was a TV series called Nashville 99.
I really enjoy "From Here To Eternity" and I've watched it many times. Merle's part was cool.
Ray
Ray Bohlken

Postby DagerRande » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:14 pm

I don't remember Chet ever being with Jerry on a T.V. series but I do remember Jerry being with Tom Selleck in "Concrete Cowboys".
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby Ray Bohlken » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:30 pm

Rande, here is more than you ever wanted to know about Nashville 99. :D I remember it vaguely and I know Chet was in an episode and towards the end had a scene with Jerry.
Ray
Nashville 99 is an American crime drama series that aired for 4 episodes on CBS from April 1 to April 22, 1977. The series starred Claude Akins as Det. Lt. Stonewall Huff (badge number 99) and Jerry Reed as Det. Trace Mayne. Supporting cast members included Lucille Benson as Birdie Huff, Charley Pride as R.B., and Dianne Sherrill as Rollie.
"Stoney" Huff – a farmer running a 200-acre spread outside Nashville – is portrayed as a tough, old school cop who plays fair, regardless of the stature of the criminal, and fights crime his own way. Mayne, however, is seen as a redneck officer who, in an attempt at country music stardom, pitches his songs to the myriad celebrity entertainers he encounters.

Guest stars included Chet Atkins, Ned Beatty, Pat Hingle, Don Johnson, Johnny Paycheck, Jeannine Riley, Ray Stevens, Mel Tillis, Sharon Wyatt (in her first TV appearance), and Tammy Wynette.

Episodes of Nashville 99 were directed by Lawrence Dobkin, Don McDougall, and George Sherman, and written by Ron Bishop and Jimmy Sangster. The series was produced by Frankel Productions in association with 20th Century Fox Television (with Ernie Frankel serving as Executive Producer), and featured a theme song performed and co-written by Reed. One month later, Reed co-starred with Burt Reynolds in Smokey and the Bandit.
Ray Bohlken

Postby DagerRande » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:16 pm

Ray, it may have been more than I asked for but I always want to know whatever there is to be known! I'm not surprised that Chet was a guest on an episode but I was questioning him being a regular part of the show. Besides Nashville 99 and Concrete Cowboys, I'll never forget "The Jerry Reed When You're Hot You're Hot Hour" done in Hollywood where he opened up each show by sitting on a chair turned around backwards and did a funny monologue before bringing the guests out. Chet was on one of those. I believe it was the Summer of 1972.
Rande Dager

DagerRande

Postby Doug Working » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:55 am

Wow!!! Talk about the way-back machine!!! You guys are tripping me out! I'm sitting here reading these posts, and my mind is traveling so far back in time that it seems like an eternity.

Thanks guys, for the great posts and the wonderful memories!!

I guess I did get the name of the series wrong, but I was positive it existed.i don't forget things like that, when it has to do with Chet and Jerry!! So I wasn't imagining it! And I do remember it being short lived. But I do indeed remember Chet and Jerry on there, and I think they even picked a tune or two together.
Then, like a bolt out of the blue....they got the axe. DANG!!!!

This is making me misty.
Doug Working

Postby Hendrik » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:58 pm

Nashville 99 was a replacement series for The Sonny and Cher Show that was pulled from the CBS schedule. Chet's guest appearance on this show was aired on April 15, 1977 and was the 3rd episode. There were only 4 episodes made. Reed co-wrote the theme song of the show. Besides Chet, there were other guest appearances like Ned Beatty, Pat Hingle, Don Johnson, Johnny Paycheck, Jeannine Riley, Ray Stevens, Mel Tillis, Sharon Wyatt and Tammy Wynette.

The duet that Chet and Jerry played was Baby's Coming Home. The production of the show was not long after Chet recorded Chet Atkins Picks on Jerry Reed, which contained the song. On the version they played on the show, Chet ended with the 'superlick', with a funny reaction of Jerry: How'd you do that?

Chet Atkins & Jerry Reed - Baby's Coming Home (on 'Nashville 99' in '77)

The Jerry Reed When You're Hot You're Hot Hour was a summer replacement program for the The Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour in 1972.

ImageImage

There were 5 episodes aired. The episode with Chet was aired on July 18, 1972 and was the 4th episode. None of the episodes are on YouTube.

In 1976 Reed had another show called The Jerry Reed Show. Chet was also a guest on one of the episodes, as well as Tammy Wynette, Ray Stevens, Jerry Clower and Burt Reynolds. There are some videos of this show on YouTube, like Chet and Jerry doing Baby's Coming Home (again).

Chet Atkins & Jerry Reed - Baby's Coming Home (on 'The Jerry Reed Show' in '76)

More info than you all probably wanted, but maybe you find it interesting.
Last edited by Hendrik on Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hendrik

Postby DagerRande » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:15 pm

Thanks, Hendrik! I would never have found those!
Rande Dager

DagerRande

Postby Ray Bohlken » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:42 pm

Thanks, Hendrik! That is some good info. I appreciate it.
I think I'm going to dig out my copy of From Here To Eternity and check it out again. Thanks for the reminder, Mr. Irvine. :D
Take care,
Ray
Ray Bohlken

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins