Back To My Roots

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Back To My Roots

Postby Doug Working » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:14 pm

Sometimes, in our quest to play like Mr Guitar, I think we need to occasionally go back to our roots and remember where we came from. It helps us keep our perspective.

https://youtu.be/kDuOAMOwjn8

As I listen, suddenly I am a young boy again, sitting in my room with that old record player, being absolutely NAILED by the magic sound coming out of those tiny speakers. And by that, I mean this tune is one of the very, very, VERY FIRST Chet tunes I ever heard.

It was magic back then, and it's still magic now. My eyes mist up. The tone coming out of Chet's guitar is pure pleasure to the ears. That tone was unique for it's time, and honestly, you still don't hear it again these days. it NEVER grows old. Not for me, at least.

But it set Chet apart.

And now from reading the comments under my Ytube posting I finally learn, decades later that Chet achieved it by playing it in open G. Knock me over with a feather!

Of course as a small boy, I had not the faintest inkling what open G was! Shoot, I was still yet to find out that he did it with three fingers and a thumb pick. And here I was, in my room trying to imitate the sound with a d__n flat pick!!

And the ending??? Man, it was so wonderful it drove me crazy! How in the heck was he doing that??? So my young mind thought.
Doug Working

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins