Who's that? Not Chet, that's for sure.

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Who's that? Not Chet, that's for sure.

Postby Doug Working » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:42 pm

I saw a new e-surance commercial today. The tune was somebody doing what sounded like surely fingerpicking, little bluesy lick, but actually kind of pedestrian. But it sure the heck wasn't Chet.

Anybody know who it is they have on there, now?
Doug Working

Re: Who's that? Not Chet, that's for sure.

Postby AlBaggetta » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:03 am

Here's a nice article on how Esurance selected Chet for the commercial.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jordanpass ... ance-song/
AlBaggetta

Postby Doug Working » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:08 pm

That was great reading!

Although I wish they had said more nice things about Chet, (would have been easy to do!) it was still enjoyable reading.

But who is playing in the new commercial, and are they about to abandon the the Chet riff?
Doug Working

Postby Doug Working » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:42 pm

Looks like the change to a different picker may be permanent. I've heard the ad several times since I first posted, and have not heard Chet even once since then.

Well. All I can say is looks like they had good taste...at one time.
Doug Working

Postby DagerRande » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:34 pm

Doug, I have mixed feelings about Chet no longer being heard on that commercial. On one hand I don't want the connection with Chet to be severed, but on the other hand it has always bothered me that the song "Jam Man"
is not a good demonstration of Chet's skill. When I'm with others who aren't familiar with him or his repertoire and that commercial comes on, I'm never inspired to point out to them that "my hero" is playing what they're hearing. I did it once and the response was "Oh come on! You mean THAT's the guy you're always raving about? YOU are better than that yourself!" I know that the goal of E-Surance's selection of that particular song wasn't to show off Chet but since I'm as proud of him as I am, I will always lean toward songs like "Cascade" etc. when I want others to understand why I'm his fan.
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby Doug Working » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:01 pm

I hear ya', friend. Chet had a kaleidoscope of tunes and styles to pick from over his career! A virtual cornucopia of great sounds and licks!

What are these other players listening for that would truly impress them? Especially considering that (I assume) many of them know nothing about finger style or the complexities of it, AND the unimaginable work and digital skill required to play it well.

I'll bet that even if they weren't impressed by "Jam Man", put a guitar in their hand, and I bet they'd be hard pressed to emulate it! A little humble pie might be just what they need.

And to boot, it was good enough to net Chet a Grammy. Ask 'em how many Grammies they have won over their career! Chet had a car-load!

But I think to me at least, the truly impressive thing about Chet was the SCOPE of his ability on the instrument. And that is impossible to demonstrate in any one tune! You have to (like us) listen to bunches of Chet albums over time, and realize how massively versatile he was on the instrument. Versatility was his strong suit, and that can not be demonstrated in three minutes on any single tune.

What I'm saying is that many guitarists work very hard to master jazz, or country or blues, or classical, but that's the only style they can play. Chet (just one single man) could play them all! And he could do it with a finesse that puts others to shame. That is a large part of why he is our guy. Our man in Nashville.

I suppose it would be hard to explain that persuasively to your friends. They have to really, TRULY have an open mind and be willing to sit down and take the time to listen seriously and thoughtfully to Mr Guitar. Put down their Hendrix albums for a few days! Adopt and embrace a few Chet albums! C'mon guys! It won't hurt you! Chet don't bite! It'll be good for your soul!

Oh, and it wouldn't hurt to have a guitar in their hand at the time, so they can try but fail to even begin to imitate him.

Takes years!

Anyway, if E-surance had chosen another Chet tune that you'd rather point out to they'd friends as an example of his excellence, which one would it be?

I'll think about it, and let you know my choice.

Doug
Doug Working

Postby DagerRande » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:47 pm

Doug, I've gotten used to what impresses people and blows them away. These are people who have listened to me a lot so if I go on and on about how great Chet is, then they expect it to be obvious that he is better than me. Jam Man is not the song that illustrates this! All of the subtleties that you and I know are components of mastery mean nothing to them and they aren't even aware of them. The "proof" in their eyes would have to be something flashy with high speed and energy. Anything short of that will leave them thinking that I am capable of it too!
Rande Dager

DagerRande

Postby Doug Working » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:50 pm

Ya' know, I think you nailed it. High speed and energy! Pyrotechnics!! That's what impresses them. That's what makes a guitarist great in their simple way of thinking. Simple things fascinate simple minds.

You are right. The subtleties of Chet's style would go over their head. In other words, they are out of touch with TRUTH of what truly makes a guitariist great.

They never had what we had, bless their hearts. And what would that be? It would be the experience you and I grew up with, of every year, or even twice a year, walking through a brick and mortar store, and seeing that anticipated NEW CHET ALBUM in the rack. And then happily plunking down the money, tucking it under your arm, heading home with either a brisk step, or possibly a foot on the gas, (in some cases for me, peddling that ol' bike like crazy!), shutting the door in your room, plopping that shiney new puppy on the turn-table @ 33 and a third, and being jaw dropped by Chet's amazingly new offering! He never let us down. Never grew STALE or got stuck in any rut. It was always different! New sounds...new tones...new guitar..a new genre of music that we had not heard him play before...we quickly learned that he was the consummate guitar genius, the virtuoso of the six strings, the one leading the way, coming up with new licks, creating the Nashville Sound, being who he was, the ONLY true head and shoulders above the rest, albeit ever humble and self effacing country gentleman. The true and well deserved Mr Guiar.

That, my friend is what these young bucks are missing, and sadly, what they will never have, as they remain awash in guitar mediocrity.

So anyway, high speed and energy, eh? As Chet said to Merle, "Is anything faster, just watch it go past ya', is anything faster than this?"

(Chet's fingers, that is!)
Doug Working

Postby Doug Working » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:58 am

I got to thinking, Rande, and I'm wondering if your friends may have been a little more impressed by another tune off that same album. Namely "Bigfoot?"

That one has some licks with killer speed. Opens up with it, as a matter of fact.

What do ya' think?
Doug Working

Postby DagerRande » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:47 pm

Doug, I'm not sure what the thought process was in choosing "Jam Man" back when the decision was being made but I suspect that to choose a song like you and might prefer could distract from their goals. It wasn't to show off Chet and I have to remember that. And for that very reason, I will never point anyone toward that commercial as their first Chet listening experience!
Rande Dager

DagerRande

Next

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins