Chet and "Georgia On My Mind"

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Chet and "Georgia On My Mind"

Postby Doug Working » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:06 am

To the very best of my knowledge, Chet never recorded "Georgia On My Mind" for release on any of his albums. But I know for a fact that he arranged it and played it live once, but I'm fuzzy on the details. The only part I recall of the anecdote was that there was some big celebration in the state of Georgia, and Chet was invited to play, and he had never arranged the tune before, but for the occasion he specially came up with an arrangement in very, very little time and he played it that night. Amazing the arrangement he came up with in such a time crunch!

I have actually heard the recording of it,(been years) and Mr Guitsr did a beautiful job on what I have always considered a great classic Amercan melody. His arrangement was "pure Chet", to say the least. I loved it, and I've no doubt that audience in Georgia did too.

Does anybody here have more detailed knowledge of this and could fill me in, and above that, is the recording STILL AROUND somewhere so I (we) can listen to it again?

Appreciate any knowledge anybody here has of this and could share.

Doug
Doug Working

Re: Chet and "Georgia On My Mind"

Postby kwarren » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:18 am

Doug,

This is the only recording i am aware of. Short but sweet! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHETNqYqgFI
kwarren

Postby Doug Working » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:58 pm

That was it!!! Thank-you a million!

I feel like I've struck gold!

That arrangement was as PURE CHET as it gets! My eyes are wet. When I listen to that, something shouts to me "You are listening to a MASTER!" A CLASSIC of American music, made even sweeter by the touch of the master's hand. I honestly don't think it gets much better than this!

My memory was wrong, as I was thinking that only the audio had been recorded. Had no idea they had videod it!

Anybody know the year? And the back story and details of the occasion? I only remember what I posted, that he arranged the tune in a real time crunch. I would not be at all surprised if he only had a chance to practice the tune two or three times before the performance.

Thanks again. You've just made my day...no, my YEAR!

Doug
Doug Working

Postby Doug Working » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:04 pm

I also noticed that he used a couple licks in there from "Waltz For The Lonely." Anybody catch that?
Doug Working

Postby Larry Marchino » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:56 pm

Doug,
I believe this video was from Chet's induction into the Georgia Music Hall of Fame. I don't know the year, but it must have been in the early to mid-nineties.

Larry
Larry Marchino

Postby AlBaggetta » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:10 pm

I remember watching this when it first came out. Very lucky to have it preserved. Someone on the board also tabbed it pretty close to the way Chet played it. I think I have it somewhere.
AlBaggetta

Postby headgremlin » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:50 pm

Doug,

I checked a list I have of the books, magazines, songbooks and programs. I have somewhere a copy of the program from the 17th Annual Georgia Music Hall of Fame Awards, and it was held on September 23rd, 1995. Not sure where I got the program from, but it possibly could have been sent to me by Dr. Mark Pritcher. May have bought the program from him.
Didn't have the video but something told me it was from that program.

Jere Uncapher
headgremlin

Postby headgremlin » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:06 am

Just found the program booklet with ads, and bios of the various nominees of the various awards. Also inside was the program listing the songs played. At the top, it says 1995 GA Music Hall Of Fame Awards Hosted by Bill Anderson, Star of the Grand Ole Opry Special Appearance by "Mr. Guitar" Chet Atkins. The last song listed is "georgia On My Mind" performed by the Performer of the Year. I think that Chet won that and if you look at that video, Bill Anderson is seen at the beginning of the song. I think a fitting ending to the awards show.

Jere
headgremlin

Postby Doug Working » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:19 pm

Al,

Is that tab somewhere within your reach?

Doug
Doug Working

Postby Doug Working » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:15 pm

Please don't forget me, Al.

:)
Doug Working

Next

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins