Kelly fingerpicks

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Kelly fingerpicks

Postby rhirvine » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:31 pm

I had bought a couple of these years ago and found they didn't work for me Chet style or fingerstyle because I couldn't pick accurately with them. Lately I've been trying to bring some Merle Travis style intros and turnarounds to my church music and quite frankly my right index fingernail is pitiful and gets chewed up on steel strings quickly and doesn't allow me to really dig in. But the Kelly pick on my index finger allows me to do more Travisy' stuff especially since he mainly used that finger to play his notes. I like the sound I'm getting as I drag my Kelly pick across the 1st and 2nd strings. I'm also trying to brush more notes in the middle with my thumbpick. Chet's basic style was one of precision. He would usually hit the root note of a chord first and alternate to the 5th. That's the nice part of the Travis thumb style. I don't think he was worried about hitting root notes or 5ths in the bass. I think Doyle Dykes put it best: the travis style was more "in your face". Anyway I'm having a good time with it. I put heavier gauge strings on my acoustic electric and get a better sound to my ear.
rhirvine

Re: Kelly fingerpicks

Postby DagerRande » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:14 pm

Rich, I started using thumbpicks in 1966 and for years I continued to crack them right at the curve around the thumb just through normal use and I don't play hard. I was introduced to Kelly thumbpicks at one of the CAAS conventions in the 90's. You may already know that they are a standard part of the "welcome package" for all attendees every year. Fred Kelly himself is always there and we became friends a couple of decades ago. I would never use anything else! They are perfect for me and I would never use anything else and tend to get paranoid whenever I've lost one or don't one with me. I haven't had the experience that you are describing. They are very accurate for me and I've never broken one. I also have one of each of the 3 major colors. The white ones are heavier (may be best for the heavy Travis thumb style), the orange are more medium, and the yellow ones are the thinnest and great for cutting through a group when playing lead fills. I'm just referring to the basic thumbpicks, which I use the most. Then there are those that are split and have a thin shaft down the middle. There are also hybrid picks, which are like a flatpick that can be work around the thumb. Anyway, I would never use anything else!
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby Roger Pratt » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:17 pm

Hey Rande....I think Rich was talking about the Kelly fingerpicks not thumbpicks. I have tried to get used to the fingerpicks myself and just come up short each time. My nails are getting thinner and thinner. I'm a little wary of acrylics but I may have to go there for good.
Roger Pratt

Postby rhirvine » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:40 pm

I was referring to the fingerpicks. Thanks for clarifying that Roger. I may even have a Kelly thumb pick. I have always favored Ernie Ball thumb picks since they came out, but I finally broke one a couple of months ago but then I don't play or practice as much as a lot of you thumb stylists.
rhirvine

Postby DagerRande » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:54 pm

Sorry, Rich and Roger. I didn't realize that. Well, I have no experience with Kelly fingerpicks. I've tried those Alaska picks and I have a friend who uses those exclusively for all of his performances but I have a problem with fingerpicks of any kind because of my lack of accuracy when I use them. I need to feel my fingertip touching the string.
Rande Dager

DagerRande

Postby Doug Working » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:31 pm

After reading this, I may give Kelly picks a try. Always willing to try something new. Been using Hercos for many years, and quite happy with them, but am open minded to explore.

I remember how loooooong it took me as a young boy, listening to my Chet records, to figure out what the heck he was using this do all that! I didn't know a thumb pick from a hole in the ground, lol.

I recall reading that Chet always carried a bunch of thumb-picks in his pocket. When he felt a twinge of insecurity, with all the up and coming new players, he would just reach in his pocket, feel the picks there, and remind himself that they are who they are, and he is who he is, and everything was all right.
Doug Working

Postby DagerRande » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:08 pm

Doug, they aren't available everywhere. If you order them from the company they are also not sold individually. I usually get them at the convention. I also used to get them at Kirk Sand's shop when I lived in California.
Rande Dager

DagerRande

Postby Doug Working » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:56 pm

How about online? Can they be gotten there?
Doug Working

Postby Ray Bohlken » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:37 pm

I found some at Elderly.com in Michigan, Doug.

Ray
Ray Bohlken

Postby rkk2786 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:38 pm

Doug your have no idea what your talking about buddy!

Micah
rkk2786

Next

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins