eroding skills on guitar

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

eroding skills on guitar

Postby rhirvine » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:39 pm

I started playing again about a half year ago after many years of just looking at my guitar across the room on a stand. Of course it was rough at first but I've gotten better over the months. I realized in the last few weeks that I was never going to play the thumb style as well as I used to, for instance I can't seem to do the "walkin on strings" lick that I could do so well years ago. Oh well! Anyway, I got down on myself about it but then realized I'm turning 70 this year and even if I had kept up practice all through the years I probably would be losing some of my ability anyway. I'm still enjoying leading singing for small groups of men at Bible studies and even try to play Merle Travis like intros on the country gospel type songs such as "A Firmer Foundation" and "There's Power In the Blood". It provides a little different sound than a lot of us are used to hearing. I usually can't even muscle memory the intros very well. Having fun though!
rhirvine

Re: eroding skills on guitar

Postby DagerRande » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:03 pm

Rich, that's sort of a sad story. I haven't picked up on any of that during the times I've spent with you at your place. I'm only a matter of months behind you and will hopefully be able to hold off on some of that for a while longer! I'm just now getting into posting video!
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby rhirvine » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:45 pm

Sorry about that. It's all based on individual qualities and abilities. Certainly George Van Epps played well into his 80's and beyond. Also I heard a couple of years ago that Bucky Pitzerelli at least at that time in his mid 80's was playing well. I have abused myself after my wife died. Eating poorly, drinking too much etc. and of course I have aged. Segovia might have been doing concerts in his late 70's and into his 80's.
rhirvine

Postby DagerRande » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:18 pm

My ex-brother-in-law attended a concert done by a 92 year old Segovia! By the way, Segovia became a new father at 86!
Yes, I know what you mean by lifestyle and then there is the factor of genetics. However, in our world's current condition, I can only hope to get through the weirdness and be "allowed" to die of old age!
Rande Dager

DagerRande

Postby rhirvine » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:35 pm

In addition I think, based on things I know about Ray Cummins, he is a grandfather, his elderly mother just passed away, that he is around my age and his playing I'm sure is advanced, precise and elegant. I would love to see him play in a live show. If I find out that he is going to perform at CAAS this summer I swear, I'm Nashville bound for the first time in my life!
rhirvine

Postby DagerRande » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:01 pm

Hi does pretty much every Summer, Rich. He also has a nice string group behind him! He's not quite as old as you and I are but he's pretty smooth!
Rande Dager

DagerRande

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins