George Jones on old Jimmy Dean show

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

George Jones on old Jimmy Dean show

Postby rhirvine » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:39 am

I really enjoy watching the old Jimmy Dean Shows on RFDtv. Sometimes Chet Atkins is on there but in the show I'm watching tonight, George Jones is performing. They showed his guitarist doing a solo. He looked like Hank garland to me. I know Hank Garland wasn't a finger picker but he is associated with Chet through records. Was Hank Garland ever associated with George Jones? I'd like to know as I revere great Nashville guitarists such as Hank Garland. Thanks.
rhirvine

Re: George Jones on old Jimmy Dean show

Postby Doug Working » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:05 pm

I'm ashamed to say I know Hank Garland's name very well, but am not familiar with his recordings Same with Joe Maphis. Actually, though, I take that back. I did have a couple Joe Maphis records back in the vinyl days. Really liked his brilliant picking and bright sound.

Wish I knew more about Hank.
Doug Working

Postby DagerRande » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:09 pm

"Sugarfoot Rag" is Hank's song. His career ended way too soon considering how long he lived after his car accident!
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby Norm » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:25 pm

rhirvine wrote:I I know Hank Garland wasn't a finger picker but he is associated with Chet through records. Was Hank Garland ever associated with George Jones? I'd like to know as I revere great Nashville guitarists such as Hank Garland. Thanks.

could be Hank was available for that show. Guys like Hank booked as much as they could. It's what makes professional musician-ing so illusionary. Sooner or later the phone stops ringing so in the meantime you book for the money and the exposure
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby rhirvine » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:47 pm

I should have held on to that Jimmy Dean show and taken an image of the guitarist I thought was Hank Garland. Maybe next time.
rhirvine

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins