Jerry's Birthday!

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Jerry's Birthday!

Postby DagerRande » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:34 pm

I didn't see any posts about this but Jerry would have been 81 today. We lost him 10 years ago this year. He made it to 71. It hardly seems possible that it was that long ago! I still run into people who only knew him as a truck driver in "Smokey and the Bandit"! A few others knew his music but almost none of them knew him as a guitarist. I first heard him in the late 60's. It took me several years before I found the answer to my question "Who is that guitarist behind him?"
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Re: Jerry's Birthday!

Postby Ray Bohlken » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:48 pm

Jerry wrote some great songs. He could do anything he put his mind to I think. I never saw him play at CAAS, but I've seen the Youtube videos and the DVD of him and Chet and Paul is wonderful.
Ray
Ray Bohlken

Postby DagerRande » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:27 pm

Ray, he never considered himself to be a guitarist, at least not as his main thing. I've been to several of his concerts and after one of them when I lived in Maryland I asked him if he was going to perform at CAAS that Summer? Here was his response: "You mean make a fool of myself in front of all of those guitar pickers? Are you kidding?" I never agreed with his assessment of himself!
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby Ray Bohlken » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:38 am

Rande, he played guutar in front of millions on TV and in concerts. Many of the folks watching him were the same folks at the conventions. I just always had trouble understanding that. I always enjoyed his playing and singing when I saw him on TV and his songs that Chet and others played for us.
Take care.
Ray
Ray Bohlken

Postby Doug Working » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:43 pm

Like Chet, it seems Jerry was a very humble man. And it seems he could not comprehend how GOOD he truly was on guitar.

Did I say good? Fabulous is more the word. Jerry, the "non guitar picker" could play circles around rooms full of today's so called guitarists. WITH HIS EYES CLOSED. He could make 'em drool. Eat your hearts out!

I mean, think of t this way: If any of us here had been honored by Chet to record three guitar albums with him, how could we NOT think of ourselves as a bonafide guitar player? I know that at that moment I would surely feel as if I had finally "arrived."

But Jerry seemingly let it roll for his back like water off a duck's back. Amazing!

And just think of his incredible ability for writing tunes! Wow! Blows me away how he was able to find licks that I would have never dream even existed! And good enough for Mr Guitar to make an album out of! That to me is the highest honor to his creative talent.

I can only come to one conclusion. Jerry was humble beyond words.

Just like Chet.

Ever self effacing.

Sure will be missed. SORELY. Hard to believe it's been this long since Alabama Wildman left us.

Doug
Doug Working

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins